Funding: Apprenticeship Incentive Grant – Overview
1. What this grant offers
The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) helps you pay for expenses while you train as an apprentice in a designated Red Seal trade.
- The AIG is a taxable grant worth $1,000 awarded to registered apprentices.
- You must complete your first year/level (or equivalent) to apply for the AIG.
- You can apply for this grant twice during your training (for a maximum of $2,000).
- You can apply for your second AIG after completing your second year/level (or equivalent) of training.
If you progressed in 2018 your deadline is: June 30, 2019
If you progressed on or after January 1, 2019, your deadline is: 12 months following your date of progression
There is a governing body in charge of apprenticeship in each province and territory. This body is usually a branch related to each provincial or territorial Department/Ministry of Education and Training with authority over training, regulation and certification of the apprenticeship program for their province/territory.
Designated Red Seal program trade
A trade that is part of the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program.
Journeyperson certification / Certificate of qualification
This is given to tradespeople who:
- complete an apprenticeship program; or
- meet all the requirements of a trade and pass the certification exam.
When you complete the technical and on-the-job training of your apprenticeship program, you have progressed. We confirm your progression through the supporting documents you include with your application.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: