Funding: Apprenticeship Incentive Grant – Apply
We recommend you apply online for the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG).
Applying online is easy and secure:
- You can complete the application from any computer with Internet access
- The online application form has a help feature to make it easy to fill out
- The online application form will be automatically updated to match the application requirements for your province/territory
- You can print a summary page before you submit your application
- You get a confirmation number as proof that we received your application and for tracking purposes
- The application goes directly to the processing centre
The online application takes about 30 minutes to complete. Being prepared will make applying easier. Please review the application checklist.
- I am eligible
- I am applying within the deadline
- I have checked the table of required supporting documents and am able to provide the following documents:
- Proof of registration in a designated Red Seal trade program as defined by the province or territory in which I am registered as an apprentice
- Proof of progression in the apprenticeship program for the year/level (or equivalent) for which I am applying
- For permanent residents and protected persons: status documents from Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada if they have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) starting with "9"
The most common reason AIG applications are not approved is because of missing proof of registration and/or progression documents. To avoid this inconvenience, please make sure you mail your documents to an Apprenticeship Grant processing centre or deliver them to a Service Canada Centre near you after you complete the online application.
- I have the following information:
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Provincial apprentice ID number
- Name and phone number of your financial institution and a void cheque (if you would like the grant to be deposited directly into your bank account). Sign up for direct deposit now! Get your payment deposited automatically into your bank account. It's convenient, secure and reliable
- For Ontario applicants only: complete information about your on-the-job training employer (company name, contact person, mailing address, phone number, and location-of-work address) and training institution (name, program/course, and completion date)
If you have not received the required supporting documents, contact your provincial or territorial apprenticeship authority.
Another option is to request an application form by calling the Apprenticeship Grants toll-free number:
Note: Paper application forms must be completed in pen. Applications completed in pencil will not be processed.
Your application must be submitted on or before June 30th of the calendar year following the date you progressed in your apprenticeship program. Service Canada will honour the date of your online application or the postmark date on your mailed application.
If we do not receive your supporting documents within 28 days after you complete your online application, we will close your application. You will need to re-apply to be considered for the grant.
Once we have received your complete application and all required supporting documents and you are deemed eligible, you can expect the grant payment to be processed in 28 calendar days.
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: