Funding: Apprenticeship Incentive Grant – Eligibility
To be eligible for the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG), you must answer yes to each statement below:
- I am a Canadian citizen, permanent residentFootnote 1, or protected person.Footnote 2
- I am not a high school student. Individuals enrolled as regular, full-time high school students are not eligible for the AIG.
- If you are an apprentice enrolled in adult learning or professional upgrading classes or a Quebec apprentice completing your vocational training diploma (Diplôme d'études professionnelles), you are not considered a high school student. If you meet all the other eligibility requirements, you can apply for the AIG.
- If you are registered in a pre-apprenticeship program, you are not eligible for the AIG. Many provinces and territories are making trades training available through pre-apprenticeship programs within the secondary school system. These programs give individuals an opportunity to acquire technical skills and work experience in a trade before registering as an apprentice with their apprenticeship authority. Some pre-apprenticeship programs enable students to acquire a credit toward the first year of in-school technical training or on-the job work experience in a registered apprenticeship.
- I am a registered apprentice with employer/or training trust fund/or union training centre/or joint apprenticeship training committee, and the apprenticeship authority.
- I am in a Red Seal trade program that is designated as such in the province or territory where I am registered as an apprentice
- I am able to show through required supporting documents that I have successfully completed the first or second year/level (or equivalent) within an eligible apprenticeship program.
- I am within the application deadline: June 30 of the calendar year following the date I completed the year/level (or equivalent) for which I am applying.
- View the calendar which indicates the deadlines for submitting AIG applications.
- Ontario Apprentices Only: I have been registered as an apprentice for at least 12 months for the Level 1 grant and at least 24 months for the Level 2 grant.
Modified Apprenticeship Program (MAP): Apprentices registered in a MAP are required to apply for the AIG as they advance through the program, not once it has been completed.
An apprentice can receive up to two Apprenticeship Incentive Grants (a lifetime maximum of $2,000 per person). You can apply for the AIG after completing your first and second years/levels (or equivalent).
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: