Reporting greenhouse gas emissions
Under the authority of Section 46 of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA), operators of facilities that meet the criteria specified in the annual notice with respect to reporting of greenhouse gases (GHGs), published in the Canada Gazette, are required to report facility GHG emissions to Environment and Climate Change Canada by the annual June 1st reporting deadline.
You can now submit your GHG report for the 2016 calendar year via the Single Window system.
The Notice with respect to reporting of greenhouse gases (GHGs) for 2016, which outlines requirements under the GHGRP for 2016, was published in the Canada Gazette, Part I on December 10, 2016. There are no changes to the reporting requirements for 2016. Companies that reported their facility emissions in the previous year must inform Environment and Climate Change Canada if their facility(ies) do(es) not meet the current year reporting criteria. The latest technical guidance is also available to support facilities in reporting their 2016 emissions.
Operators of facilities that are subject to the reporting requirements use Environment and Climate Change Canada’s Single Window system to report their information. The Single Window system streamlines the reporting to national and various provincial jurisdictions, thus helping to reduce the reporting burden and the overall costs to governments. Provincial partners using this system for GHG reporting include Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario and New Brunswick.
Resources for Reporters
The following links provide guidance for reporting to the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Program:
- Technical Guidance on Reporting Greenhouse Gas Emissions (updated December 12, 2016) - a comprehensive overview of the reporting requirements, including guidance for potential reporters to help determine if they are required to submit a report, the greenhouse gases and emission sources subject to reporting, along with information on methods for calculating emissions and the required reporting format.
- Instructions for using Environment and Climate Change Canada's Single Window system (updated March 16, 2017) - provides step by step instructions on how to report your greenhouse gas information using the Single Window system.
- New ! Single Window and GHGRP video tutorials - these tutorials will help you navigate the Single Window system and report your GHG emission data to the GHGRP. They are available upon request : please contact us at email@example.com.
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Quantification Guidance - access sector-specific guidance manuals and global warming potentials.
GHGRP Notices - Canada Gazette, Part I
Under Environment and Climate Change Canada's Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Program, a notice is published every year in Part I of the Canada Gazette, outlining the GHG reporting requirements for the corresponding calendar year. Notices for previous years' reporting requirements covering 2004 to 2011 are available at Government of Canada Publications or can be requested from the GHGRP.
|Notice with respect to reporting of greenhouse gases for: (calendar year)||Date Published||Links to Original Documents (HTML)||Links to Original Documents (PDF)|
|2016||December 10, 2016||HTML||PDF (4.14 MB)|
|2015||October 17, 2015||HTML||PDF (438 KB)|
|2014||October 11, 2014||HTML||PDF (1014 KB)|
|2013||November 2, 2013||HTML||PDF (1.69 MB)|
|2012||September 22, 2012||HTML||PDF (2.68 MB)|
Key changes that were made to federal reporting requirements in previous years included:
- updates to the Global Warming Potential (GWP) values that facilities are required to use to assess whether they meet the 50-kilotonne (kt) carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2 eq.) reporting threshold and in reporting their emissions (issued in the 2013 Notice);
- a requirement to report facility latitude and longitude information (except pipeline transportation systems) (issued in the 2013 Notice);
- a reduction of the reporting threshold from 100 kt to 50 kt of CO2 eq. and a further breakdown of specific emission source categories (issued in the 2009 Notice).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: