Base metals smelters and refineries and zinc plants: P2 notice overview
Published April 29, 2006, the Notice outlines the requirements to prepare and implement pollution prevention (P2) plans.
- Notice (published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, Saturday, April 29, 2006; Vol. 140, No. 17, p. 877)
- Amendment (published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, Saturday, June 11, 2011; Vol. 145, No. 24, p. 1780)
Does this Notice apply to you?
This Notice applies to owners or operators of base metal smelters, refineries and zinc plants that are listed in the Notice.
What you need to do
Prepare a P2 plan
You must prepare a P2 plan by October 29, 2006.
Implement a P2 plan
You must implement a P2 plan by December 31, 2015.
You must complete and submit reports to Environment and Climate Change Canada.
|Type of reports||Deadline|
|Schedule 1: Declaration of Preparation||November 28, 2006|
|Schedule 4: Interim Progress Reports no. 1 to 12||Annually from June 1, 2007, to June 1, 2018|
|Schedule 5: Declaration of Implementation||December 31, 2015 (time extension granted to December 31, 2018)|
P2 notice toolkit
- Proposed Notice (published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, Saturday, September 25, 2004; Vol. 138, No. 39, p. 2541)
- Response to stakeholders' comments
- Guidance Document for management of wastes from the base metals smelting sector
- Environmental Code of Practice for base metals smelters and refineries
- Technical assessment of environmental performance and emission reduction options
- HATCH review of environmental releases for the base metals smelters sector
- Base metals smelting sector strategic options report (document available upon request)
- Management of toxic substances:
- inorganic arsenic compounds
- inorganic cadmium compounds
- oxidic, sulphidic, and soluble inorganic nickel compounds
- particulate matter containing metals that is released in emissions from copper smelters or refineries, or from both
- particulate matter containing metals that is released in emissions from zinc plants
- polychlorinated dibenzodioxins
- polychlorinated dibenzofurans
- respirable particulate matter less than or equal to 10 microns
- sulphur dioxide
Contact Environment and Climate Change Canada
For all technical inquiries regarding the content of this notice, please contact:
Mining and Processing Division
For inquiries regarding reporting and P2 practices, please contact:
Regulatory Innovation and Management Systems
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: