Synthetic rubber manufacturing sector: pollution prevention planning notice
This notice applies to any owner or operator of a facility in the synthetic rubber manufacturing sector who, at any time purchases, imports or uses greater than 100 kg of isoprene per year and is involved in the activities specified in the notice.
For more information, refer to the synthetic rubber manufacturing sector notice.
If you are uncertain whether you are subject to the notice, contact us for clarification or to obtain a notification of non-engagement form.
If you became subject to the notice after June 9, 2012, you must:
- prepare a pollution prevention plan within 12 months from the date you became subject to the notice and then submit a report (schedule 1) within 30 days following the end of the 12-month period
- submit the first interim progress report within 24 months from the date you became subject to the notice
- submit the second interim progress report within 36 months from the date you became subject to the notice
- implement the pollution prevention plan within 48 months from the date you became subject to the notice and then submit a report (schedule 5) no later than 30 days following the end of the 48-month period
Arlanxeo Canada Inc. (formerly Lanxess Inc.) was granted a time extension to implement their P2 plan. The deadline was extended to December 31, 2018.
You must complete and submit reports to the Government of Canada. Contact us to receive instructions.
As of late 2019, one facility, Arlanxeo East, located in Sarnia, Ontario, was subject to the notice and implemented a P2 plan. In 2018, the facility’s emissions of isoprene to the environment were 3 862 kg, corresponding to a reduction of 78% relative to their 2009 baseline year and a partial achievement of the objective. For more information, see the performance report.
- Pollution prevention planning notices and your legal obligations
- Create and implement your pollution prevention plan
- Final screening assessment report
- Risk management approach
- Proposed notice (PDF)
- Response to comments on the proposed notice
- Consultation document
- Response to comments on the consultation document
Technical inquiries regarding the content of this notice:
Chemical Production Division
Inquiries regarding reporting and pollution prevention practices:
Regulatory Innovation and Management Systems
- Date modified: