How to file a complaint with a federally regulated financial institution

From: Financial Consumer Agency of Canada

All banks, retail associations and federal trust, loan and insurance companies must, by law, have a complaint-handling process in place for consumers.

If you have a complaint or a problem with a federally regulated financial institution, you can take the following steps to resolve it.

Step 1: Local level

First, you should try to resolve the problem directly with the manager or customer service representative of your financial institution. This would involve dealing with branch staff or the branch’s local representative. 

Step 2: Senior level or internal ombudsman 

If your complaint cannot be resolved at the branch or local level, it may be referred to a senior staff member or an internal ombudservice. 

Step 3: Third-party review

If your complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you can have it reviewed by a third party or an external complaints body. This service is non-binding and is available to any individual or small business with a complaint. 

Provincial regulator 

In some cases, depending on the type of financial institution you deal with, you may also contact your provincial regulator. For a list of the regulators in your province, please visit the Other regulators section or call FCAC toll-free at 1-866-461-3222. 


Part of FCAC's role is to ensure that financial institutions have a complaint-handling process in place. If you are having difficulty finding out about your institution’s complaint-handling process or if you are experiencing delays when using it, contact FCAC. However, please keep in mind that FCAC does not provide redress or compensation and cannot get involved in individual disputes.

Click here to learn more about how FCAC handles complaints.​​

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: