Canada–European Union Regulatory Cooperation Forum - Overview
The Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) Between Canada and the European Union (PDF, 1.45 MB) entered into force provisionally on September 21, 2017.
CETA is Canada’s first bilateral trade agreement with a stand-alone chapter on regulatory cooperation. The chapter establishes the Regulatory Cooperation Forum (RCF) to facilitate and promote regulatory cooperation between Canada and the European Union (EU). To achieve regulatory cooperation, the RCF will consider a broad range of regulatory measures to improve regulatory planning, promote transparency, and enhance the efficacy of regulations by seeking to reduce duplication and misalignment.
If you’ve encountered a regulatory barrier, find out how to report it. Tell us how we can align regulations with our trading partners.
What we are doing
Current work plan
Current RCF work plan, published January 3, 2023.
Current items of interest
- Cooperation on topics of common interest to the Standards Council of Canada (SCC) and the European Committee for Standardization (CEN) and the European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization (CENELEC), published January 3, 2023.
- Certification of Small Solid Biomass Boilers in Canada, published January 3, 2023.
- First RCF Work Plan (published June 28, 2019)
- Second RCF Work Plan (published October 23, 2020)
- Third RCF Work Plan (published June 28, 2021)
- Item of Interest- Certification of Small Solid Biomass Boilers in Canada (published November 26, 2021)
- Item of Interest- Cooperation on standardization topics of common interest to the SCC and CEN/CENELEC (published November 26, 2021)
Canada and the EU released the Joint Statement by Regulators on Animal Welfare.
From April to June 2022, input on potential CETA RCF Work Plan items was received through the Breaking down inter-jurisdictional regulatory barriers project on Let’s Talk Federal Regulations.
For the results of previous consultations, visit Archived Reports and Guidance on the GCWiki.
On social media
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: