Service Standards for Categories A-L Authorizations under the Pest Control Products Regulations
Disclaimer: Information on this webpage is provided for illustrative purposes only. Directive DIR2017-01, Management of Submissions Policy (MOSP), should be relied upon for specific requirements. In the event of an inconsistency between the information on this webpage and the information contained in the MOSP, the MOSP prevails to the extent of the inconsistency.
Health Canada posts service standards and performance information for services with over 100 regulatory authorizations, such as permits or licences, issued each year (high-volume regulatory transactions).
This service is for the examination of applications in respect of a pest control product (e.g., applications to register, or amend the registration of a pest control product) submitted by industry and other interested parties to Health Canada's Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA).
Pursuant to the Pest Control Products Act (PCPA), no person shall manufacture, process, handle, store, transport, import, distribute or use a pest control product that is not registered under the PCPA, except as otherwise authorized under the PCPA or unless specifically exempted by the Pest Control Products Regulations.
Various guidance documents are available on the Pesticides and Pest Management portion of Heath Canada's website to help applicants prepare a complete application package.
Individual applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the pesticide registration process and registration requirements and to request, when appropriate, a pre-submission consultation.
Instructions on submitting information for registration can be found in Directives DIR2006-05 (Requirements for Submitting Data Index, Documents and Forms) and DIR2017-01 (Management of Submissions Policy).
The PMRA is committed to timely regulatory decisions for pesticides so that reviews are conducted within established service standards (review timelines) and targets.
- Category A:
- Includes submissions to register new active ingredients and their companion end-use product(s), applications to add a major new use to registered pesticide, and submissions to specify a maximum residue limit for a previously unassessed active. User Requested Minor Use Registrations (URMURs) are also included in this category. Category A submissions require a full supporting data package. The review timelines range from 285 to 655 days for these types of submissions.
- Category B:
- Includes submissions to amend a product label (e.g., changes in application rates, timing of applications, new pests, changes to precautionary statements), or to change the product chemistry. Supporting data must be provided. The review timelines range from 158 to 425 days for these types of submissions.
- Category C:
- Submissions to register or amend a product label (add pest, use, or change application rate) or change a formulation based on previously established precedents or those that have reduced data requirements. The review timelines range from 180 to 240 days for these types of submissions.
- Category D:
- Submissions to register or amend products within particular programs, such as the Import for Manufacture and Export, Own-Use Import, Grower Requested Own Use (GROU) program, Master Copy, Private Label and renewal of registration and discontinuation of registration. The review timelines range from 10 to 70 days for these types of submissions.
- Category E:
- Includes submissions for research authorizations and research notifications, when the research is carried out in Canada. The review timelines range from 30 to 159 days for these types of submissions.
- Category F:
- Includes registration and amendments to registered pest control products via notification. The review timeline is 45 days for these types of submissions.
- Category L:
- Includes submissions to register or amend products including new sources of technical grade active ingredient, manufacturing concentrates and end use products where the applicant wishes to use or rely upon data provided by another registrant; or requests to extend the exclusive use protection period based on minor uses. The review timelines range from 45 to 425 days for these types of submissions.
The PMRA's performance target is as follows:
90% of submissions to be processed within the applicable review timelines.
Performance result in fiscal year 2018 to 2019:
Annual service performance is measured over the course of the fiscal year (April 1 - March 31). Performance results for a given fiscal year are published in the Departmental Results Report, which is normally tabled in Parliament and published in the third quarter (October-December) of the following fiscal year.
The PMRA's review performance on submissions completed (i.e., registered, rejected, withdrawn, granted, or approved) during the reporting period is presented for each category:
- Category A = 96% (80/83) were completed within established service standards or negotiated timelines
- Category B = 82% (276/338) were completed within established service standards or negotiated timelines
- Category C = 94% (703/750) were completed within established service standards
- Category D = 99% (1307/1318) were completed within established service standards
- Category E = 29% (36/125) were completed within established service standards
- Category F = 98% (822/842) were completed within established service standards
- Category L = 91% (145/160) were completed within established service standards
Please use the Information Services Inquiry form, or contact the Pest Management Information Service, to make any general inquiries or comments:
Pest Management Information Service
Pest Management Regulatory Agency
2720 Riverside Drive
Address Locator: 6606D2
Teletypewriter: 1-800-267-1245 (Health Canada)
Please contact the Pre-Submission Consultation Service to make any inquiries or comments regarding pre-submission consultations:
Screening and Pre-submission Consultation Section
Submission and Information Management Division
Pest Management Regulatory Agency
2720 Riverside Drive
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: