Peroxide, [1,3(or 1,4)-phenylenebis(1-methylethylidene)]bis[(1,1-dimethylethyl) (PBMBDP)
CAS Registry Number 25155-25-3
What is it?
- Peroxide, [1,3(or 1,4)-phenylenebis(1-methylethylidene)]bis[(1,1-dimethylethyl), also known as PBMBDP, is an industrial chemical.
How is it used?
- PBMBDP is used in polymer processing as an initiator for polymerization. It is used to produce polymers that are used in products such as wire and cable insulation, pipes and hoses, shoe soles and other consumer products.
- Based on the most recent data available, PBMBDP is not manufactured in Canada, but is imported into Canada.
Why did the Government of Canada assess it?
- PBMBDP was identified as a potential concern to the environment based on available information regarding possible persistence, accumulation and potential to cause harm to the environment.
How is it released to the environment?
- PBMBDP may be released to the environment during product manufacturing and processing.
What is the Government of Canada doing?
- The Government of Canada has conducted an evaluation of PBMBDP based on science, called a screening assessment.
- The Government of Canada has determined that PBMBDP is not harmful to the environment, because it was found not to accumulate and not to cause harm to organisms. Therefore, no further action will be taken on PBMBDP.
- The final screening assessment report was published on March 7, 2009.
What should Canadians do?
- Because PBMBDP is not a concern for the environment or human health, Canadians do not need to take any specific actions with respect to how they use this chemical, or products that contain that chemical.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: