Consultation on fludioxonil, Proposed Maximum Residue Limit PMRL2023-34
Notice to reader:
The online consultation is now closed.
Health Canada is consulting the public and seeking your feedback on a proposed maximum residue limit (MRL) increase for fludioxonil on imported sugar beet roots. An MRL is the highest amount of a specific pesticide residue allowed on a particular food commodity when a pesticide is used according to label directions. This MRL increase is being requested in Canada to align with the United States of America. This is so sugar beet roots, or any processed foods derived from sugar beet roots, can be imported and sold in Canada.
- Fludioxonil is a fungicide registered in Canada for use on sugar beets and other food commodities.
- Fludioxonil was first registered in Canada in 1996.
- Fludioxonil was re-evaluated using updated scientific information and Health Canada determined that the requirements for protection of human health and the environment were still met.
- Health Canada published a decision to continue its registration in 2018.
What is the proposed MRL decision
This consultation is on the proposed decision to accept the request to increase the MRL for fludioxonil from 0.02 ppm to 4.0 ppm on imported sugar beet roots. Results from the scientific evaluation show that the proposed MRL increase for fludioxonil would continue to meet Health Canada's requirements for the protection of human health. This increased MRL:
- Would not change the Canadian registered labels for fludioxonil.
- Would not change how the pesticide is used in Canada.
- Would not increase the amount of pesticide residues for fludioxonil on the food grown in Canada.
How to get involved
This consultation is open for comment from 27 June 2023 to 10 September 2023 (75 calendar days).
To comment on PMRL2023-34:
- Step 1: Open "View the proposed MRL decision" to access the document.
- Step 2: Submit comments to the Pest Management Regulatory Agency Publications Section
Please be sure to include the title of the consultation document on which you are commenting. Interested parties are encouraged to provide comments by 10 September 2023.
Health Canada will consider all comments received before making a final decision on the proposed MRL for fludioxonil.
- Proposed Re-evaluation Decision PRVD2016-03, Fludioxonil
- Re-evaluation Decision RVD2018-04, Fludioxonil and Its Associated End-use Products
- Improving how we communicate about MRLs
Reporting to the people of Canada
Health Canada will make the results of this consultation available on this website. Once the decision on fludioxonil is finalized, the established MRLs will be legally in effect as of the date that they are entered into the MRL database. The MRL database is an online application that allows users to search for established MRLs, regulated under the Pest Control Products Act, for pesticides and food commodities.
If you have any questions, contact the Pest Management Information Service.
Interested in our other consultations? Sign up and stay informed about topics that matter to you.
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: