Label and Signage Requirements for Research Involving a Pesticide Pest Control Product
With the exception of laboratory trials, labels for experimental uses are required for all pest control products. Draft labels must accompany all Applications for Research Authorization or Research Notification. Copies of the approved labels must be available to all researchers and co-operators before experimental tests are initiated. The approved experimental labels must be attached to the container(s) used during the test(s). Labels should be legibly typed in English and/or French. Experimental labels must reflect the proposed research only.
Requirements for Label Principal Display Panel
The following information must be provided on the principal display panel:
- "EXPERIMENTAL USE ONLY" statement
- "RESEARCH AUTHORIZATION/NOTIFICATION NO. (assigned at issuance) PEST CONTROL PRODUCTS ACT / P.C.P. ACT" statement
- "SALE PROHIBITED. NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION TO ANY PERSON OTHER THAN A RESEARCHER OR CO-OPERATOR" statement
- Name, brand or trademark of the product
- Active Ingredient statement (GUARANTEE)
- "KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN" statement
- "READ THE LABEL BEFORE USING" statement
- Hazard warnings and precautions:
When the research involves the use of a pest control product that contains a formulant on Part 2 of the List of Pest Control Product Formulants and Contaminants of Health or Environmental Concern, the following statement is required: "Warning: contains the allergen (name of allergen)."
- Net contents
- Name and address of the manufacturer
Requirements for Label Secondary Display Panel
The following information must be provided on the secondary display panel:
- PRECAUTIONS section, which includes information on personal protective equipment
- FIRST AID section
For unregistered active ingredients, the statement "Take the container label or product name and Pest Control Product Registration Number with you when seeking medical attention." is replaced with: "Take the experimental label with you when seeking medical attention."
- TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION section
- ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS section
- DIRECTIONS FOR USE section, which includes:
- crop(s) or site(s)
- dilution and application rates
- method of application
- timing of application
- pre-harvest intervals
- NOTICE TO USER statement:
"NOTICE TO USER:
This pest control product is to be used only in accordance with the directions on the label. It is an offence under the Pest Control Products Act to use this product in a way that is inconsistent with the directions on the label. The user assumes the risk to persons or property that arises from any such use of this product."
- DISPOSAL section
For unregistered pest control product, the label must have the statement "Any unused product must be returned to the manufacturer."
- Any other information or limitations necessary to ensure safe and effective use of the product for research purposes.
Note: When the research involves the use of a registered pest control product, the following information does not need to be shown on the experimental label if being used in conjunction with the registered label:
- Net contents
- Decontamination and Disposal
- Information on risks to the environment and procedures to reduce those risks
- Notice to User Section
Signage Requirements for Research
Unless otherwise specified, a research establishment must post signs in English and French at every research site and include:
- "PEST CONTROL EXPERIMENTAL SITE / SITE D'EXPÉRIMENTATION DE LUTTE ANTIPARASITAIRE" statement
- "DO NOT ENTER WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION / ACCÈS INTERDIT SANS AUTORISATION" statement
- "CONTACT (contact name) AT (phone number) / S'ADRESSER À (nom du responsable) AU (no de téléphone)" statement
- Signs may also include the name of the pest control product under research and the name and logo of the manufacturer, provided that they are printed smaller than the primary message.
Signs must be:
- visible, legible, indelible and posted at every entrance to the research site on each side of the entrance; and
- posted before treatment begins and remain posted until any treated food or feed crop is harvested or as long as data are being collected.
- Date modified: