Licensed Natural Health Products Database (LNHPD)
For industry information about COVID-19, visit our COVID-19 Disinfectants, sanitizers, cleaners and soaps section.
What Is It?
The Licensed Natural Health Products Database contains information about natural health products that have been issued a product licence by Health Canada.
Products with a licence have been assessed by Health Canada and found to be safe, effective and of high quality under their recommended conditions of use. You can identify licensed natural health products by looking for the eight-digit Natural Product Number (NPN) or Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM) on the label.
This Licensed Natural Health Products Database is managed by Health Canada and includes information on licensed natural health products, including:
- vitamin and mineral supplements
- herb and plant-based remedies
- traditional medicines like Traditional Chinese Medicines or Ayurvedic (Indian) Medicines
- omega 3 and essential fatty acids
- homeopathic medicines
- many everyday consumer products, like certain toothpastes, antiperspirants, shampoos, facial products and mouthwashes
What Information Can I Find Here?
For every licensed product listed in this database, the following details are provided:
- product name
- product licence holder
- Natural Product Number (NPN) or Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM)
- product's medicinal ingredients
- product's non-medicinal ingredients
- product's dosage form
- product's recommended use or purpose (i.e. its health claim or indication)
- risk information associated with the product's use (i.e. cautions, warnings, contra-indications and known adverse reactions)
Additional information about this database:
For More Information
- For technical support or for general questions about the content of this database, please contact the Natural and Non-prescription Health Products Directorate (NNHPD) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To search detailed descriptions of specific NHP ingredients, see the Natural Health Products Ingredients Database.
- For more information about how natural health products are licensed, see About Natural Health Product Regulation in Canada.
- Self-care products
How self-care products, including natural heath products, cosmetics and over-the-counter drugs, are regulated in Canada.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: