The Natural Health Products Directorate (NHPD) has changed its name to the Natural and Non-prescription Health Products Directorate (NNHPD) subsequent to its recently expanded mandate to include the oversight of non-prescription and disinfectant drugs in addition to natural health products (NHPs). Please note that we are currently modifying documents to reflect this change.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
The Natural Health Products Regulations came into effect on January 1, 2004, and apply to all natural health products (NHPs) as of that date. Health Canada has continued to work with Canadians and government bodies to bring about a smooth implementation of the Regulations. The desire of consumers to have access to NHPs was balanced with the need to ensure their safety and efficacy as we developed the following compliance approach:
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizers in beverage and food containers: Packaging and labelling requirements to reduce unintentional ingestion risk
- Management of Product Licence Applications (PLA) for Natural Health Products
- Natural Health Product Compounding Policy
- Natural Health Product Raw Material Policy - The October 2006 version of the NHP Raw Material Policy is being re-posted to the Health Canada website. The document is unchanged from the version previously posted. For additional information regarding NHPs, please contact the Natural Health Products Directorate (NHPD).
- Information about nanotechnology-based health products and food.
- Date modified: