Health indicators help keep Canadians informed about the progress of renewing and strengthening health care in Canada. Health indicator reports provide information on health care across the country and allow governments and Canadians to compare data, track changes, see progress and identify areas for improvement within the health care system.
At the First Ministers' Meeting in 2000, an agreement was made to develop a framework of health indicators that could be compared across fourteen jurisdictions in Canada. In 2003, health ministers signed the First Ministers' Accord on Health Care Renewal, which stated each jurisdiction will report regularly on its health programs and services, health system performance, health outcomes and health status. This information is important for governments to make informed decisions about health care and share best practices across the jurisdictions.
Health Canada's indicator reports are the Government of Canada's response to this commitment. The data in these reports is based on input from health partners, experts and the general population. To complete these reports, Health Canada works in collaboration with Statistics Canada, the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) and the Federal Health Partners Secretariat. There is also extensive consultation and input from the First Nations and Inuit Health Branch, other areas of Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC). These reports demonstrate the Government of Canada's commitment to accountability and reporting to Canadians.
Health Indicator reports are published every two years. In this section, you will find links to the reports from 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2010.
- (2012) Healthy Canadians-A Federal Report on Comparable Health Indicators
- (2010) Healthy Canadians-A Federal Report on Comparable Health Indicators
- (2008) Healthy Canadians: A Federal Report on Comparable Health Indicators
- (2006) Healthy Canadians: A Federal Report on Comparable Health Indicators
- 2006 Indicators Feedback Form
- Technical Specifications for Additional Indicators
- (2004) Healthy Canadians: A Federal Report on Comparable Health Indicators
- (2002) Healthy Canadians: A Federal Report on Comparable Health Indicators
- Comparable Health Indicators - Canada, Provinces and Territories
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: