Pesticide compliance and enforcement
Find information on how Canada monitors and enforces pesticide compliance.
On this page
Canada’s Pest Control Products Act and regulations are in place to protect the health and environment of Canadians.
- compliance guidance documents
We promote compliance so informed decisions can be made by:
- registrants (typically companies that own the pesticide registrations)
We also promote compliance to increase awareness of the regulations to:
Through public consultations, stakeholders and the general public can provide feedback on pesticide regulatory decisions.
We consult our regulatory partners to form and improve working arrangements. This involves working with departments and agencies at all levels of government on pesticide compliance.
At the international level, we work with many regulatory agencies, including the:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- European Commission, Environment Directorate
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Agricultural Pesticides and Biocides
To ensure compliance, Canada monitors pesticide:
We conduct inspections to determine compliance with such things as the:
- directions on labels
- distribution and use of registered products
Inspections may involve:
- collecting samples for analyses
- examining facilities, product labels and documents
We oversee and enforce compliance related to pesticide:
- record keeping
At our accredited laboratory, we test pesticides to determine if they meet the specifications for which registration was granted. Analysis is also done to detect and report pesticide misuse.
Measures to enforce compliance range from education to prosecution. They may include:
- encouraging voluntary removal of product by the distributor
- seizing the product
- refusing entry of the product into Canada
- issuing a compliance order, warning or penalty
- amending, suspending or cancelling the product registration
Enforcement bulletins provide information on violations that have resulted in warnings or penalties.
Canadians can report a pesticide incident or suspected violation via the Public Engagement Portal Complaint and Violation Form.
Pesticides compliance and enforcement annual reports provide a summary of promotion, monitoring and enforcement activities.
For more information
Regulation and guidance
- Pest Control Products Act
- Pest Control Products Regulations
- Compliance and enforcement policy for pesticides
- Interim order regulating UV radiation-emitting and ozone-generating devices under Pest Control Products Act: Overview
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development: Guidance on Pesticide Compliance and Enforcement Best Practices
- Pesticide Public Registry
- Pesticide Label Search
- Report a pesticide incident
Results and reports
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: