How to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics)
Make sure you need to give your biometrics
- If you apply for the first time, you need to give your biometrics unless you are exempt
- If you gave them before as part of an application for a visitor visa, study or work permit
- your biometrics data is probably still valid
- if so, you don’t have to give your biometrics again for a new application
Go to an official location to give your biometrics
Once you receive the letter from us that says you need biometrics, you have to go in person to an official biometrics collection service location.
- Application Support Centers across the United States
- You can go to an ASC from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Visa Application Centres (VACs) around the world
- You can schedule an appointment at select VACs. Check the VAC website for more information
- VACs are managed by private companies who are approved to provide specific services to IRCC applicants
Canadian port of entry
- Only available for
- If you are applying for a visa, study or work permit or permanent residence in Canada – you are exempt until the in-Canada service is established in 2019.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: