ARCHIVED – Backgrounder — Applying for a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa


  • An application for a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa is made using the Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada [IMM 5257] form.
  • In addition to the information required for completing the IMM 5257, the applicant must also provide proof of the parent or grandparent relationship to the Canadian citizen or permanent resident and a signed letter from their child or grandchild pledging financial support to the parent or grandparent for the duration of their visit to Canada.
  • Evidence of the family’s ability to provide that financial support must be submitted with the application. The ability to support visiting parents or grandparents is based on a minimum necessary income (known as the low income cut-off, or LICO). The chart below is also used to determine an individual’s ability to sponsor family members through the Family Class. The minimum necessary income is updated each year on January 1.
Size of Family Unit Minimum necessary income
1 person (the sponsor) $22,229
2 persons $27,674
3 persons $34,022
4 persons $41,307
5 persons $46,850
6 persons $52,838
7 persons $58,827
More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add $5,989
  • Applicants must also submit proof that they have purchased Canadian medical insurance that:
    • is valid for a minimum period of one year from the date of entry to Canada;
    • provides a minimum of $100,000 in coverage; and
    • covers the applicant for health care, hospitalization and repatriation.
  • Applicants must also meet all standard admissibility criteria. There are a number of reasons why you can be found inadmissible, denied a visa and refused entry to Canada.
  • For the visa officer to determine whether the applicant is medically admissible to Canada, the applicant will also be required to undergo an Immigration Medical Examination (IME) prior to being issued a Super Visa.

For parents and grandparents already visiting Canada

  • Parents and grandparents who are currently in Canada may apply for an extension of their status for up to two years by submitting an Application to Change Conditions, Extend Stay or Remain in Canada (IMM 1249) to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta, as long as they meet all the criteria. These applications will be examined on a case-by-case basis.

For parents and grandparents from visa-exempt countries

  • Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents from a country whose citizens are not required to have a visa to enter Canada are also eligible to enjoy the Super Visa’s authorized stay of two years. They may apply at a Canadian visa office (no fee required) and demonstrate that they meet all the requirements for the Super Visa.
  • Applicants who meet all the criteria will be issued a letter by the visa office which they will present to a Canada Border Services Agency officer at the port of entry upon their arrival in Canada. The officer may authorize a visit to Canada for up to two years.


Subscribe to news

Page details

Date modified: