Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor
We plan to expand our fingerprint and photo requirements
Outside Canada applicants
Visitor visa extensions
- Starting July 31, 2018, you may need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when you apply to extend your stay if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
Find out if these changes may apply to you.
In Canada applicants
Visitor visa extensions
- You may be temporarily exempt from giving biometrics for your extension application until 2019. This is when biometrics collection points will be established in Canada.
This application package includes:
- Document Checklist [IMM 5558] (PDF, 289.24KB) February 2017
- Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder [IMM 5708] (PDF, 477.39KB) February 2018
- Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 636.51KB) April 2015
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 648.31KB) September 2015
- Instruction Guide [IMM 5551]
Use this application if you are a temporary resident who is already in Canada and you want to:
- extend your stay,
- change the conditions of your stay or
- correct problems with your status.
It is important to apply for the change before your current status expires.
New: You now have two options to apply to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada as a visitor.
Help for option 2
- Filling out the form on a computer is easier than filling it out by hand. It reduces the risk of mistakes that can slow down the application process.
- Having trouble downloading the form? Right-click the link and select “Save Target As ”
To make sure you submit all the pages of the form with your application package, follow these steps.
- Click the “Validate” button at the top or bottom of the form.
Note: Validating the form before printing makes sure that you have answered all the questions. This will help you to avoid delays in processing your application.
- A last page with barcodes and a signature line will automatically be created.
- Print, sign and date the form.
- For best results:
- print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper and
- use a laser printer.
- Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: