Notice – Electronic Travel Authorization now required to fly to or transit through Canada

Ottawa, November 10, 2016 — Starting today, travellers who do not need a visa to enter Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada.

Although the eTA requirement adds a new step for travellers, applying for one is a simple, inexpensive (CAN$7) online process that takes just minutes to complete. All travellers need is a passport, a credit card, an email address and access to the Internet. Travellers have been able to apply for an eTA since August 1, 2015.

The eTA improves the safety of Canadians; it allows Canada to check that travellers are admissible before they board their flight, preventing those who are inadmissible from travelling to Canada in the first place.

Exceptions to the eTA requirement include United States citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, cannot apply for an eTA or a visa and will need a valid Canadian passport, a temporary passport or an emergency travel document to fly to or transit through Canada. It should be noted that temporary passports and emergency travel documents are issued only under strict conditions.

To help some dual Canadian citizens caught unaware of these changes, the Government has implemented a short-term measure — a special authorization to allow eligible dual citizens whose second citizenship is from a visa-exempt country to board their flight to Canada using their non-Canadian passport. This authorization is available until January 31, 2017.

Permanent residents of Canada are also not eligible to apply for an eTA and, as usual, must show their permanent resident card or a permanent resident travel document when travelling to Canada.

Page details

Date modified: