Application for Canadian Citizenship: Adults - Subsection 5(1) CIT 0002
Applications received at our Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Sydney, NS March 1, 2021 or later must use forms from October 2020 or later (indicated on the lower left corner of the form). Application forms that are not up-to-date will be returned as incomplete. IRCC does not consider the date of signatures or mailing to be deciding factors.
This form for an application under subsection 5(1) is intended primarily for permanent residents aged 18 and over who want to apply for Canadian citizenship.
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you:
- must be 18 years of age or older on the day you sign the application
- must be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada
- must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the 5 years immediately before you apply
- may need to file personal income taxes for at least 3 years within the 5-year period
- must demonstrate adequate knowledge of English or French (if you are between 18 and 54 years old when you apply)
- must demonstrate you have knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship (if you are between 18 and 54 years old when you apply - this is assessed after you apply)
- can’t have any unfulfilled conditions relating to your permanent resident status
- can’t be under a removal order (asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
- can’t be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds
If you are not sure whether you have Canadian citizenship or not, see if you may already be a citizen.
The application package includes an instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out.
The application package includes:
- Instruction Guide
- Application for Canadian Citizenship – Adults [CIT 0002] (PDF, 379 KB)
- Document Checklist [CIT 0007] (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
Prepare a complete application
To make sure you submit all the pages of the application form with your application package, follow these steps:
- Click the “Validate” button at the top or bottom of the form.
Note: Validating the form before printing makes sure that you have answered all the questions. This will help you to avoid delays in processing your application.
- A last page with barcodes will automatically be created.
- Print and sign the form.
Note: For best results print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper using a laser printer.
- Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.
- Date modified: