Application for Canadian Citizenship: Adults - Subsection 5(1) CIT 0002
Applications received at our Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Sydney, NS March 1, 2021 or later must use forms from October 2020 or later (indicated on the lower left corner of the form). Application forms that are not up-to-date will be returned as incomplete. IRCC does not consider the date of signatures or mailing to be deciding factors.
This form for an application under subsection 5(1) is intended primarily for permanent residents aged 18 and over who want to apply for Canadian citizenship.
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you:
- must be 18 years of age or older on the day you sign the application
- must be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada
- must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the 5 years immediately before you apply
- may need to file personal income taxes for at least 3 years within the 5-year period
- must demonstrate adequate knowledge of English or French (if you are between 18 and 54 years old when you apply)
- must demonstrate you have knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship (if you are between 18 and 54 years old when you apply - this is assessed after you apply)
- can’t have any unfulfilled conditions relating to your permanent resident status
- can’t be under a removal order (asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
- can’t be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds
If you are not sure whether you have Canadian citizenship or not, see if you may already be a citizen.
Some applicants can now apply online to become a Canadian citizen.
- will keep testing and improving the online application
- are working to make sure that more people can apply online
If you’re applying as a family or a group
Who can apply online as a group
Adults (18 or older) can now apply online together as a family or a group.
If you want to apply with a minor (under 18), you can only apply on paper for now.
Starting a group application
- Make sure you are eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship. (opens in a new tab)
- Check if you can apply online. (opens in a new tab)
- If you can apply online, you’ll be able to create an account.
- After you sign in to your account, you can invite other adults to join your application.
- The person you invite can choose to accept or decline your invitation.
Joining a group application
To join a group application, you must
- be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship (opens in a new tab)
- be eligible to apply online (opens in a new tab)
- not be part of another group application
- wait until you receive an email invitation to join a group application
- If you’re already applying online, you’ll also get a message in your online account if someone invited you.
- accept the invitation
If you can apply online, you may create an account before or after you get your email invitation.
Switching to a different group
If you’re already in a group application and want to join a different group, you must leave your current group before joining a new one.
Your new group can invite you only after you leave your current group.
How the online group application works
Everyone in your group
- will have their own individual online accounts that are linked together
- can only view limited information about each other’s applications, to protect each applicant’s privacy
- For example, you can see if your co-applicant’s application is in progress or already signed.
- must not share their account passwords with other members of the group
- cannot access each other’s applications
- must sign and date their own application
Paying the fee
Your group can
- have 1 person pay and upload 1 receipt for everyone or
- pay separately and upload each individual receipt
Check the instructions in the payment section of the online account for more details.
Submitting the application
After everyone signs their individual applications, 1 person in your group will submit all of the applications together.
Leaving a group application
You may leave your group application if you wish.
To leave your group, click the “Leave group” button in the “Your account” section of your online account.
After leaving your group, you may choose to
- continue applying online by yourself
- join a different group application (if another group invites you) or
- start a new group application
- There is an option to invite co-applicants in your online account.
Removing someone from your group application
To remove someone from your group application, click the “Remove this person” button in the “Your co-applicants” section of your online account.
If you leave a group or remove someone from your group
The online account will tell you your next steps based on your progress with the application. For example:
- You may have to upload the receipts again.
- If you’ve already signed your application before leaving a group, you’ll have to sign it again.
If you have a representative
- is someone you choose to help you complete your application
- can be paid (authorized) (opens in a new tab) or unpaid
- may be a family member, friend, lawyer or consultant
- communicates and does business with us for you after you submit the application
If you apply online with the help of a representative, you must
- create your own account to apply online with your email address
- not share your account or password with anyone (including your representative)
- sign, date and submit your online application
Your representative may
- help you to answer the questions in the online application
- communicate with us for you after you submit your application
- provide other assistance, information and advice
If you want your representative to complete and submit your application for you, apply on paper (opens in a new tab) . We’re working so a representative can apply online for an applicant in the future.
You don’t need to use a representative
It’s your choice. Using one will not
- draw special attention to your application
- guarantee the approval of your application
Do not apply online if you’ve already applied on paper, as we’re still processing your paper application.
The application package includes an instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out.
The application package includes:
- Instruction Guide
- Application for Canadian Citizenship – Adults [CIT 0002] (PDF, 379 KB)
- Document Checklist [CIT 0007] (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
Prepare a complete application
To make sure you submit all the pages of the application form with your application package, follow these steps:
- Click the “Validate” button at the top or bottom of the form.
Note: Validating the form before printing makes sure that you have answered all the questions. This will help you to avoid delays in processing your application.
- A last page with barcodes will automatically be created.
- Print and sign the form.
Note: For best results print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper using a laser printer.
- Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: