Apply for citizenship: How to apply
On this page
- Apply online, if you can
- Apply on paper
- Apply for citizenship urgently
Apply online, if you can
Some applicants can now apply online to become a Canadian citizen.
- will keep testing and improving the online application
- are working to make sure that more people can apply online
Do not apply online if you’ve already applied on paper, as we’re still processing your paper application.
Apply on paper
Get an application package
The application package includes the instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Use the instruction guide and the document checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything.
Choose the application package for your situation:
- Adult (age 18 or older)
- Parent or guardian applying for a minor (under age 18)
- Minor without a Canadian parent applying alone
- Adult who served with the Canadian Armed Forces
- Adoption by a Canadian citizen
- Stateless person born to a Canadian parent
Pay the application fees
Your fees depend on whether you’re an adult (age 18 and over) or minor (under age 18). Your fees may include:
- the processing fee
- the right of citizenship fee
If you’re submitting more than one application at the same time, you can pay all the fees together.
You have to pay your fees online. Only pay your fees once you’re ready to submit your application. Make sure to include the fee receipt with your application.
Submit your application
You must be eligible for Canadian citizenship the day before you sign the application form.
Make sure you
- sign the application form
- date the form the day you sign it (don’t use a date in the past or future)
- have the same application date on your application form and physical presence calculation for the following applications:
You don’t have to sign or date your physical presence calculation (your printout of the Online Physical Presence Calculator or form CIT 0407).
Send your completed application form and all the documents on the checklist
- by mail or courier
- as soon as possible after you sign and date the application form
- If it’s dated more than 90 days before we get it, we’ll send it back to you.
Sending more than one application
If you apply for more than one person and want us to process your applications at the same time, put all applications in the same envelope. Otherwise, we process them separately.
Address for regular mail
Case Processing Centre—Sydney
P.O. Box 7000
Sydney, Nova Scotia B1P 6V6
Address for courier mail
Case Processing Centre—Sydney
47–49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia B1P 5Z2
Apply for citizenship urgently
Processing times show how long it takes us to process applications for citizenship. We can process applications faster in special cases.
Top questions about Canadian citizenship
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2017 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: