Apply — Citizenship
On this page
Get an application package
The application package includes the instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Use the instruction guide and the document checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything.
The package you use depends on who you’re applying for:
- adult (age 18 or older)
- parent (or guardian) applying for a child (under age 18)
- minor (under age 18) without Canadian parents applying alone
- adult (age 18 or older) who served with the Canadian Armed Forces
- adoption by a Canadian citizen
- stateless person born to a Canadian parent
Make sure you use a version of the application form dated October 2017 or later. You can find the version date on the bottom left corner of the form. For example, “CIT 0002 (01-2019)” means the version date is January 2019. The date you sign or mail your form does not change the version date.
If you submit your application on a form with a version date older than October 2017, we’ll return it to you and ask you to resubmit your application using the newest version of the form.
If you used a version of the form dated October 2017 or later and we returned it to you as incomplete, you don’t need use the newest version of the form to resubmit your application. You can resubmit it using the same form once you get the missing information or documents.
Pay the application fees
- Citizenship (Adult): $630
- Citizenship (Minor): $100
Your fees depend on your age. Your fees may include:
- the processing fee
- the right of citizenship fee
If you’re submitting more than one application at the same time, you can pay all the fees together.
You have to pay your fees online.
The instruction guide in your application package can help you understand which fees apply to you and show you how to pay them.
Submit your application
You must be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship the day before you sign the application form or earlier. We’ll send your application back to you if you date it:
- in the future
- more than three months before we get it
Send your completed application form, along with all the documents on the checklist, by mail or courier.
If your application is incomplete or missing information, we will return it to you. We will ask you to send it again with the missing information included.
Sending more than one application
If you’re applying for more than one person and want us to process your applications at the same time, put all the forms and documents in the same envelope. If there are issues with one of the applications, we may continue to process the rest. If you send the applications in different envelopes, we’ll process them one at a time.
Address for regular mail
Case Processing Centre—Sydney
P.O. Box 7000
Sydney, Nova Scotia B1P 6V6
Address for courier mail
Case Processing Centre—Sydney
47–49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia B1P 5Z2
Find out how long it will take us to process your application.
Top questions about Canadian citizenship
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2017 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: