How to get a police certificate – Portugal
If you need to give your fingerprints for a police certificate, this isn’t the same as giving your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) for an application.
Do I need to provide a police certificate with my application for permanent residence? Yes
Name of document to get:
- « Certificado do Registo Criminal » (Criminal Record Certificate)
If you live in Portugal
Use the Online Criminal Record service to apply online. You’ll need your citizen card with the Digital Mobile Key (Chave Móvel Digital or CMD) that you got with your citizen card.
Apply in person
Go to any of these locations to apply in person:
- Central authority desks: Balcões dos Serviços de Identificação Criminal (in Portuguese only) (PDF)
- Courts: Unidades Centrais ou Juízos de Proximidade de Secretarias de Tribunais de Comarca (in Portuguese only) (PDF)
- Citizen service offices that offer Espaços do Cidadão
- Residents of the Azores can apply to the local citizen services office: Lojas da Rede Integrada de Apoio ao Cidadão (in Portuguese only) (RIAC) da Região Autónoma dos Açores
You don’t need an application form, but you must prove your identity with acceptable photo identification such as a citizen card, identification card or other valid identification document.
If you live outside of Portugal
Use the Online Criminal Record service to apply online if you have an active citizen card code and reader, or with the Digital Mobile Key (Chave Móvel Digital or CMD) that you got with your citizen card.
You must have a bank account in Portugal with a home banking service.
Apply by email, mail or fax
Fill out the Request for a Portuguese Criminal Record Certificate (PDF) form and send it to the Criminal Identification Services of the DGAJ. See Special notes and considerations for the complete address.
Information and documents you need
- Valid identity card, residence card or passport
- Reason for the request (e.g. Immigration purposes)
- Applicable fees
Special notes and considerations
Do I need a police certificate for International Experience Canada (IEC)?
If you are a citizen of Portugal, you do not need to provide a police certificate from this country with your application. However, an IRCC officer may request one at a later date.
You must provide police certificates for all other countries or territories where you have lived for a total of six months or more since your 18th birthday.
Direção-Geral da Administração da Justiça, Serviço de Consulados
Av. D. João II, nº 1.08.01 D/E
Piso 13º- DSIC
1990-097 Lisboa, Portugal
Fax: +351 211 545 113
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: