Apply for proof of citizenship urgently

Processing times show how long it takes us to process applications for a citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship). We can process applications faster in special cases.

You can ask for urgent processing if you need a citizenship certificate to:

  • access benefits like:
    • a pension
    • health care
    • a Social Insurance Number
  • prove you’re a Canadian citizen to get a job
  • travel to or from Canada because of a death or serious illness in your family

Your request for urgent processing must include:

  • an explanation letter
  • supporting documents

We review your request to see if it qualifies. Even if you qualify, we can’t guarantee that you’ll get your citizenship certificate on time.

Dual Canadian citizens impacted by eTA can apply for a proof of citizenship urgently. To qualify, you must:

  • also be a citizen of a visa-exempt country
  • have proof of air travel to Canada within six months following the date of application and
  • have applied at the same time for a citizenship certificate and a Canadian passport

How to request urgent processing

If you haven’t sent us your application:

  1. Download and print the Application for a Citizenship Certificate
  2. Complete the application
    • be sure you answer all questions
  3. Write an explanation of why you need urgent processing
    • include any documents that will support your explanation
  4. Put in your envelope your:
    • application
    • explanation
    • photographs
    • fee payment
    • required documents
  5. Write “Urgent – Citizenship Certificate (Proof)” in large, dark letters on the envelope
  6. Mail your application

If you already sent us your application and now need urgent processing:

If you sent your application to CPC-Sydney from Canada or the United States, fill out the Web form explaining why you need urgent processing and include:

  • your full name, date of birth, email address and telephone numbers
  • your UCI or application number
  • any documents that will support your explanation
    • files must in PDF, JPEG, TIFF, DOC, or DOCX format
    • files must be 2 MB or smaller
    • if you include multiple files, the total size must be 3.5 MB or smaller
    • help for how to reduce file size

If you submitted your application to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, contact that office to ask for urgent processing.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: