Self-employed persons: Prepare to arrive

Prepare to arrive

You need to use ArriveCAN

Use ArriveCAN before checking in at the airport or crossing a land border to submit your

  • travel and contact information
  • quarantine plan
  • COVID-19 symptoms self-assessment

Make sure you’re using the newest version of ArriveCAN

On February 22, 2021, we released a new version of the ArriveCan app. If you submitted your information before February 22, you must download the latest version of ArriveCAN and then

  • re-enter your information
  • answer the new questions
  • submit your information and answers to get a new ArriveCAN receipt to show the border services officer

When you arrive in Canada, you will be greeted by an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

When you arrive, you must have:

  • a valid passport and/or travel documents.
    • Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You cannot immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
  • a valid permanent resident visa and your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR).
    • The officer will make sure you’re entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your visa (this document cannot be extended)
  • proof that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada

The officer will ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the eligibility requirements to immigrate to Canada. These questions will be like the ones you answered when you applied.

You won’t be allowed into Canada if you give false or incomplete information, or if you don’t convince the officer that you meet the conditions to enter Canada.

If you meet the requirements, the officer will allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident. They will also confirm your Canadian mailing address and have your permanent resident card mailed to you there.

If you change your address within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must notify us using this online tool.

Disclosure of funds

If you arrive in Canada with more than CAN$10,000, you must tell this to the CBSA officer. If you don’t tell them, you could be fined, and your funds could be seized.

These funds could be in the form of:

  • cash
  • securities that belong to you (stocks, bonds, debentures and treasury bill)
  • bankers’ drafts
  • cheques
  • travellers’ cheques
  • money orders

What you can bring into Canada

Before you travel to Canada, see the CBSA website to find out what you can and cannot bring into the country.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: