Self-employed person: After you apply

No new applications under the farm management stream

As of March 10, 2018, we’re no longer accepting new applications under the farm management stream of the Self-Employed Persons Program. We’ll continue to process applications received before March 10, 2018.

How we assess your application

After you apply, we’ll verify that you have:

  • filled out your application forms correctly and signed them
  • paid your processing fee and biometrics fee and
  • included all required documents

If you forget something, your application won’t be processed and will be sent back to you.

We’ll contact you when we receive your complete application.

Get your fingerprints and photo taken

If you’re between 14 and 79 years old, you need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for every application for permanent residence you submit to us. Even if you gave your biometrics in the past and they’re still valid.

  • You must pay the biometrics fee when you submit your application. Otherwise you may experience delays.
  • Get this done as soon as you get the letter from us that tells you to give biometrics.
  • You have 30 days to do this from the date on the letter.

Find out who needs to give, how to give, and where to give your biometrics.

COVID-19: Changes to biometrics requirements and collection procedures

Temporary measures have been put into place for biometrics requirements and collection procedures.

Find out what to do for your biometrics

Processing time

Error loading the number of days. Try again. ?

You may need to give biometrics with your application. This processing time includes the time you need to give your biometrics.

Processing times

Avoid delays by telling us about any changes to your personal information.

Use this Web form if you need to report important changes about your application, such as:

  • changes in address, telephone number, email or other contact information
  • births or deaths in your family
  • marriages or divorces
  • adoptions
  • changes to your job or job offer
  • a new educational credential
  • updated language test results

Your application will be delayed if:

  • there are criminal or security problems
  • we need to do more background checks
  • your family situation isn’t clear—reasons could include a divorce or an adoption that isn’t yet complete or child custody issues that haven’t been resolved or
  • the visa office has to contact other visa offices in Canada or abroad to verify the information you gave us.

Medical exams

You must have a medical exam before you come to Canada. Your family members must also have one, even if they aren’t coming with you.

We won’t accept your application if your health:

  • is a danger to Canada’s public health or safety or
  • would cause too much demand on health or social services in Canada

We’ll send you a letter to tell you how to get the medical exam after we send your application to the visa office.

Police certificates

If you have a criminal record, you may not be allowed to enter Canada. People who pose a risk to Canada’s security aren’t allowed to come to Canada.

To immigrate to Canada, you and any family members 18 years of age and older must provide police certificates to the visa office if asked to do so.

Decision on your application

We’ll make a decision on your application based on:

  • whether you meet the eligibility criteria for the program
  • whether you have enough money to support yourself and your family when you arrive in Canada
  • the results of your medical exam and
  • the information on your police certificate(s)

The office that processes your application will contact you if you need to send more documents or go to an interview.

If your application is approved, we’ll ask you to send your passport to the visa office so we can issue your permanent resident visa.

Confirmation of Permanent Residence

If we approve your application, we’ll issue you a permanent resident visa. This visa includes your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your entry visa.

Your COPR will have information about who you are as well as your photograph. Please check to make sure it is correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport. If there’s a mistake on your COPR, contact your visa office.

You must have your COPR and your visa with you when you arrive in Canada.

Need help?

Find answers to your questions in the Help Centre.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: