Self-employed person: How to apply
You need to give your biometrics
In most cases, you now need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) after you apply. Find out where biometrics fits in the application process.
How to apply
Get the application package
The application package includes a guide and document checklist. Use the guide to help you fill out the forms correctly.
- Fill out the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 553.83 KB) on your computer.
When you’re done:
- Click the “Validate” button on the form. If there are any fields you still need to fill out, they will be outlined in red
- Print the validated application form, including the barcode page(s). (Find out more about the barcode form)
- Sign and date the form where asked
- Include all the pages of the application form, including the barcode page(s), with your application
- Print the other forms, and sign and date where asked
- Gather all the supporting information listed in the Document Checklist (PDF, 384.24 KB) to make sure you don’t miss anything
Include all the forms, information, documents, signatures, language test results and fees that we ask for. If any information is missing, your application will be incomplete and we’ll return it to you without processing it.
All of your answers must be complete and true. If we find that you misrepresented yourself (gave us false information or left out important details):
- your application could be refused
- you could be found inadmissible and
- you could be barred for five years from applying to come to Canada for any reason
Pay your application fees
In most cases, your fees will include:
- processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application
- the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)
- third-party fees
You have to pay your fees online (opens in new tab).
In most cases, you must pay a biometrics fee when you submit your application. Otherwise, you may experience delays. The biometrics fee covers the cost of collecting fingerprints and a digital photo.
After you pay the biometrics fee with a complete application, we’ll send you a letter confirming that you need to give your biometrics and where you can go. You must show this letter when you give your biometrics.
You must give your biometrics in person. Make sure to book an appointment if this service is offered. Find a collection point close to you.
Depending on your situation, you may need to pay third parties for:
Our instruction guide can help you understand which fees apply to you.
Submit your application
To make sure you have a complete application, you must:
- answer all questions
- sign your application and all forms
- pay your processing fees and attach a copy of the receipt to your application
- include all the supporting documents
If you forget something, we’ll send your application back to you. You’ll have to fix any errors and resubmit it.
Mail your complete application to the address in the instruction guide.
Don’t send your application to any other processing centre or visa office.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: