Self-employed person: How to apply
You need to give your biometrics
You now need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when you apply for permanent residence if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
Find out who needs to give biometrics.
How to apply
Get the application package
The application package includes a guide and document checklist. Use the guide to help you fill out the forms correctly.
- Fill out the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 553.83 KB) on your computer.
When you’re done:
- Click the “Validate” button on the form. If there are any fields you still need to fill out, they will be outlined in red
- Print the validated application form, including the barcode page(s). (Find out more about the barcode form)
- Sign and date the form where asked
- Include all the pages of the application form, including the barcode page(s), with your application
- Print the other forms, and sign and date where asked
- Gather all the supporting information listed in the Document Checklist (PDF, 384.24 KB) to make sure you don’t miss anything
Include all the forms, information, documents, signatures, language test results and fees that we ask for. If any information is missing, your application will be incomplete and we’ll return it to you without processing it.
All of your answers must be complete and true. If we find that you misrepresented yourself (gave us false information or left out important details):
- your application could be refused
- you could be found inadmissible and
- you could be barred for five years from applying to come to Canada for any reason
Pay your application fees
When applying for permanent residence, you’ll have to pay these fees:
You must pay a processing fee for yourself and each family member that you listed on your application who will be joining you in Canada.
Check the fee list to see how much it will be.
If your application is complete, we’ll let you know and we’ll send your application to one of our offices for processing. Once we begin processing your application, we cannot refund your processing fee. Make sure you’re eligible before you apply.
You must include proof that you’ve paid your processing fee(s) with your application.
Find out how to pay your fees.
Right of Permanent Residence Fee
If we approve your application, you must pay this fee before you can become a permanent resident.
We’ll refund this fee if:
- you cancel your application
- we don’t approve your application or
- you decide not to come to Canada
If your spouse or common law partner will be joining you in Canada you’ll need to pay a separate right of permanent residence fee before they can become a permanent resident.
You may have to pay fees to third parties for:
- your medical exam
- any police certificate you need
- your language testing and
- services at a Visa Application Centre, if you use one
Submit your application
To make sure you have a complete application, you must:
- answer all questions
- sign your application and all forms
- pay your processing fees and attach a copy of the receipt to your application
- include all the supporting documents
If you forget something, we’ll send your application back to you. You’ll have to fix any errors and resubmit it.
Mail your complete application to the address in the instruction guide.
Don’t send your application to any other processing centre or visa office.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: