Apply for, renew or replace a PR card: How to apply
Follow these steps to apply for a permanent resident card (PR card). If you forget something, your application will be sent back to you. You will then have to submit a new application.
Since we don’t refund the processing fees, make sure you are eligible before you apply.
1. Get the application package
The application package includes a guide and all the forms you need to complete to apply for a PR card. Read the guide to help you fill out the forms correctly. Use the Document Checklist (IMM 5644) (opens in new tab) to make sure you don’t forget anything.
Include with your application:
- your PR card:
- If you are applying to renew your card, keep your current card and include a photocopy of it with your application.
- If you are applying to replace a card because it is damaged or the information on it is wrong, send the card with your application.
- a clear copy of:
- your valid passport or travel document, or
- the passport or travel document you held at the time you became a permanent resident
- two photos that meet our photo specifications
- any other identity documents listed in the Document Checklist (see the application package),
- a copy of the receipt for the processing fee, and
- a solemn declaration if your PR card was lost, stolen, destroyed or you didn’t receive it within 180 days of immigrating to Canada.
Make sure your photos follow our specifications. Print our photograph specifications (PDF, 204 KB) and bring it with you when you have your photos taken.
2. Pay your application fees
You must pay the PR card application fee online.
To pay your fees online, you need:
After you pay, print your receipt and include it with your application.
3. Submit your application
Make sure you:
- answer all questions,
- sign your application and all forms,
- include the receipt for your payment, and
- include all the supporting documents.
Send your application and payment to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Case Processing Centre — PR Card
P.O. Box 10020
Sydney, NS B1P 7C1
Or by courier:
Case Processing Centre – PR Card
49 Dorchester Street
Top questions about the permanent resident card
- What happens if my PR card expires while I am outside Canada?
- I’m a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
- How do I renew my permanent resident card?
- I have reclaimed my Indigenous name. How do I update my PR card?
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: