Immigrate through the Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot: How the pilot works
We created the Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot (EMPP) to help skilled refugees immigrate to Canada through existing economic programs to support Canadian labour market needs. This is the second phase of the EMPP. In the first phase of this pilot, we learned that skilled refugees can qualify for permanent residence through our economic programs with some help.
Starting December 3, 2021, EMPP phase 2 will help settle up to 500 skilled refugees, and their families, in Canada.
The pilot combines refugee resettlement and economic immigration. Before you apply for the EMPP, you’ll apply for 1 of these immigration programs:
- Atlantic Immigration Program
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot
The support we provide overseas is tailored to refugees. The selection criteria, including the ability to settle independently in Canada, is assessed using economic immigration requirements.
What the EMPP will do
The EMPP will help you apply to specific economic immigration programs by making it easier for you to
- be eligible for an economic immigration program
- complete and submit your application
- start your new life in Canada
Through this pilot, we will:
- make it easier for you to apply and be eligible for the economic program you choose
- waive the application and biometric fees for you and any of your dependants
- review and process your application in 6 months or less (in most cases)
- cover the cost of your pre-departure medical services and medical exams through the Interim Federal Health Program
- let you use a loan to meet the financial requirements to support yourself and your family when you come to Canada (your settlement funds)
- give you access to the Immigration Loans Program (ILP), if your application is approved, to help with
- travel costs
- some pre-arrival travel services from the International Organization for Migration that the ILP covers the fee for
- some start-up costs after you arrive in Canada (which is also available to other economic immigration applicants)
- the right of permanent residence fee
- let you access the Canadian Orientation Abroad Programme to help you integrate and settle in Canada
If you need a loan for your settlement funds
We’ve partnered with Windmill Microlending to offer loans to cover your proof of settlement funds. Windmill Microlending offers low-interest microloans to eligible EMPP candidates who
- have a job offer and
- don’t have the minimum funds needed to meet their immigration program financial eligibility requirements
Find out how to apply for this loan.
You can’t use the ILP to cover your proof of settlement funds.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: