Interim Federal Health Program: Apply for coverage from inside Canada
In most cases, you don’t need to apply for Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) coverage. Your refugee status determines your eligibility and your coverage is activated or cancelled automatically. You may need to apply if you believe you’re eligible but your claim was rejected.
Before you apply for coverage, make sure you’re eligible for the IFHP.
If you’re eligible, you can apply to
- get new coverage
- extend your coverage
- request confirmation of your IFHP coverage if your original IFHP eligibility document has been lost, stolen or destroyed.
Prepare your application
- Read the Instruction Guide [IMM 5568] for tips on when to apply and how to fill out your application.
- Download and fill out the form: Application for IFHP Coverage [IMM 5564] (PDF, 780.15KB).
- Print it or save it on your computer.
You can get help to open an application form or to complete an application form in the Help Centre.
Submit your application
You can submit your application online or by mail
Follow these steps to apply online:
- Create an account.
- Under the heading “what would you like to do today”, select “apply for the Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP)”.
- Upload your saved application form.
- You’ll receive a response to your application by e-mail, through your account.
Before mailing your application
- sign and date your application form
- include your supporting documents
- use enough postage
Mail your completed application to the nearest Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) office.
After you apply
Contact us using our webform if
- you change your address
- there are changes to your family situation
- you have new information that is important to your application
Questions about the Interim Federal Health Program
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: