Changing your school or program

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

You need to contact us if you:

If you have a study permit, you could receive an email from us. The email address will end in “” It’s important for you to follow the instructions in that email, by the date indicated, to confirm that you’re enrolled and actively studying in Canada.

Moving to the next education level

If your study permit is still valid, you don’t need to change or apply for a new permit if you’re moving between school levels. This could be:

  • primary to high school,
  • high school to post-secondary,
  • post-secondary to high school, or
  • any other move between school levels.

If your study permit will expire, you need to apply to extend it.

If your permit has already expired, you must restore your status as a student at the same time as you apply to extend your study permit. You must apply to restore your status within 90 days of losing it. You can’t continue or restart your studies until you have status as a student again and we’ve extended your study permit.

Post-secondary students changing schools

If you change post-secondary schools, the school you plan to change to must also be a DLI. Please see the DLI list to confirm before you commit to changing schools.

You must tell us each time you change post-secondary schools. Changing the post-secondary school on your account is a free service.

You don’t need to apply to change your study permit if you are changing schools.

Post-secondary studies include:

  • university
  • community college, CEGEP, institute
  • private university, career college, academy, school or training institution and
  • ESL/FSL and other language training.

Studying in Quebec

If you’re moving to a school in Quebec, you must get a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).

If you’re already studying in Quebec and want to change the conditions on your CAQ (for example, the institution), you should contact the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI).

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: