You need a study permit

You should apply for your permit before you travel to Canada to study.

Learn what you need to study in Canada.

Your study permit isn’t a visa

If we approve your study permit application, we’ll also automatically give you either a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA), depending on your passport or travel document. This is what allows you to travel to and enter Canada.

If you’re studying in Quebec

You must also apply for a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).

Apply for a study permit

Citizens of the United States (U.S.)

You don’t need a visitor visa or an eTA to enter Canada. However, you must carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

Permanent residents of the U.S.

If you’re entering Canada by air, you need an eTA. Otherwise, you don’t need a visitor visa or an eTA to enter Canada. Regardless of how you travel to Canada, carry valid proof of U.S. lawful permanent residence status, such as a valid green card.

Please take a few moments to rate your experience with the Find out if you need a study permit tool.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: