How to apply

We’re not currently accepting applications.

As of May 06, 2024, we may have received enough applications to fill the available spaces. We’re assessing the ones that have already been submitted.

We’ll post more information on this page if we start to accept applications again for this category.

Apply online using the permanent residence portal

Read the instruction guide for details on

We’ll accept and process the first 3,250 complete applications that are submitted. Being able to submit an application in the portal does not guarantee that your application will be processed.

Sign in or create a Permanent residence online application portal account (opens in a new tab) 

  1. Complete your forms and get your documents ready

    You must use the document checklist to make sure you include all the forms and documents you need.

    You’ll need to fill out these forms online in the portal

    • Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008]
    • Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669]
    • Additional Family Information [IMM 5406]

    You’ll need to download these forms as PDFs and fill them out

    You’ll need to upload these supporting documents

    • proof of residence in Sudan on April 15, 2023
    • 1 photo of you and each of your family members
    • proof of temporary resident status in Canada, if you are in Canada when you apply
    • police certificates or an explanation of why you can’t provide them for you and each of your family members over 18
    • travel documents for you and each of your family members
    • any ID or civil status documents such as
      • birth, marriage, divorce or death certificates
      • national ID cards
      • legal documents showing a change of name
      • any other ID documents
    • a copy of your receipt proving you have paid your fees

    Your anchor will need to download and fill out this form:

    Your anchor will need to upload these supporting documents:

    • proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
    • proof of relationship between the principal applicant and the anchor
    • proof of residence in Canada, outside the province of Quebec
    • proof of income or proof of funds
    • marriage certificate between anchor and spouse or a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409)
    If you can’t apply online and need another way to apply

    If you (or your representative) can’t apply online and need accommodations, including for a disability, you may ask for an alternate format.

    After we review your request, we’ll send you the application package in one of these formats:

    • paper
    • braille
    • large print

    To request another format

    1. Open a new email
    2. In the subject line of your email, include
      • the format you need (paper, braille, or large print)
      • the application package you want
    3. In the body of your email, include
      • your full name as shown on your passport
      • the full name of your anchor person in Canada
      • a statement explaining that you’re asking for an alternate format
      • if you want the application in English or French
      • how we should send it to you (by email or regular mail)
        • Include your email address if you want us to send it electronically so you can print it yourself. This will save you the time it would take to mail it.
        • Include your mailing address if you want it mailed to you.
    4. Send your email to:

    We will only reply to requests for alternate formats. We won’t reply to any other emails.

    After we get your request, we’ll reply with instructions and tell you where to send your application.

    To submit your application

    • fill out and sign any paper forms
    • return the application by mail or courier to the mailing address provided in our instructions

    For more information about applying with an alternate format, call 1-888-242-2100 (from inside Canada only).

    If you want to use an immigration representative

    If you’re a representative, find out how you can create an account and submit applications on behalf of your clients.

    If you want to appoint someone to do business with IRCC on your behalf, you must

    An immigration representative (an immigration consultant or lawyer) can give you advice and help you with your application for a fee, but they can’t

    • open a portal account on your behalf
    • electronically sign the application for you
    • sign in to the portal using your username and password

    A representative can fill out forms and communicate with IRCC on your behalf through their own account. They can also

    • help you prepare the supporting documents you need to upload
    • answer questions about the forms

    After you read the declaration, you must be the one who types your name and clicks the “submit” button. This is the legal requirement for your application to be considered “signed,” according to Canada’s immigration law.

    If you’re having technical issues

    If you’re having technical issues applying, contact us using the web form.

    • Under type of application/enquiry, choose technical difficulties from the drop-down menu.
    • Upload screenshots from your account that show us
      • the page where you’re having problems
      • the error message(s) you get

    If you need to upload a number of images, find out how to combine them into 1 document.

  2. Prepare your application

    When you submit your application make sure you

    • answer all questions on the forms
    • electronically sign your application (type your full name exactly as shown on your passport)
    • upload all supporting documents

    If you submit an incomplete application, we won’t process it. We’ll return it to you and you can reapply if the program is still open.

    Once you’ve completed your application, we’ll review it.

  3. Pay your fees

    Our permanent residence fees have increased

    The fees for all permanent residence applications increased on April 30, 2024. If you paid your fees before April 30, but have not yet submitted your complete application, you will need to pay the difference.

    When you submit your application, you will only need to pay an application fee.

    You do not need to pay the right of permanent residence fees and/or biometric fees.

    1. Calculate how much you need to pay

      Type of processing fee Fee per person (CAN$) Quantity Total fees (CAN$)
      Your application processing fee $635.00 1 $635.00
      Application fee for your spouse or common-law partner included on your application $635.00 $0.00
      Application fee for each dependent child that is coming with you $175.00 $0.00
      Total $635.00
    2. Pay with a credit card, prepaid card or a debit card

      The card you use does not have to be in your name. The cardholder’s name will appear on the receipt, but it does not need to match your application.

      Credit cards and prepaid cards

      We accept credit cards and prepaid cards from:

      • Visa®
      • MasterCard®
      • American Express®
      • JCB®
      • UnionPay®

      If you use a prepaid credit card, keep the card for at least 18 months after you pay. This will make refunds easier. Find more on prepaid cards.

      Debit cards

      We only accept Debit MasterCard® or Visa® Debit cards.

    3. Include your receipt with your application

      After you pay, we’ll email you a copy of your receipt.

      If you’re applying on paper, print the receipt and include it with your application.

      If you’re paying additional fees for an application you already submitted online, follow the instructions we sent to your account.

      You can log in at any time to view all your receipts.

      Pay your fees online

Page details

Date modified: