Apply for a new temporary resident visa from within Canada

If you are a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (that is, you have a valid study permit or work permit), you can apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada before you leave.

You can apply in Canada if:

  • you are a legally admitted
    • student or
    • foreign worker
    in Canada with a Canadian residential address,
  • your current temporary resident status is still valid, and your existing visa counterfoil is expired or was valid for only one entry, and
  • you need a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada in the near future.

If this does not apply to you, see our general instructions on how to apply.

If this does apply to you, follow these steps.

1. Decide how you will apply

You can apply online or on paper.

Apply online

You must have:

  • access to a scanner or camera to make electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
  • a valid credit card to pay with.

Determine your eligibility and apply online.

Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please check your email account often for automated emails from CIC regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails. Make sure that emails from CIC are not blocked. If you are not sure whether emails from CIC are being sent, please check your myCIC account often.

Apply on paper

Please follow steps 2 to 4 below.

2. Get the application package

The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download the application package.

Read the instructions on this page carefully before you fill out the form.

Please note the following.

  • You must fill out and sign your own form, even if you are travelling as part of a family. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian must sign your form.
  • We will not refund your application fee.
  • Even if you send a complete application and all the needed supporting documents, you may not get a visa.

Be sure to send us all documents we asked for. Missing information or documents can delay your application.

3. Pay your application fees

Note: Financial institutions and credit card companies may need up to five days to validate your payment. We cannot process an application before the payment is validated. You may want to pay your application fee a few days before you send the complete application to speed up the process.

4. Submit your application

When you have filled out the application forms, make sure you:

  • sign and date them, and
  • include all documents and proof you paid the application fee in the envelope.

Mailing instructions

  • Buy two prepaid 24 x 32 cm Xpresspost–National envelopes at any Canada Post retail outlet.
  • Put one envelope in the other envelope. We will use the second envelope to return your passport and other documents to you.
  • Add the documents you are sending that support your application.
  • Put your full mailing address in the “Deliver To” field and the Case Processing Centre-Ottawa post office box address in the “Return Address” field.
  • Note the tracking number for each envelope.
  • If you do not send a second prepaid Xpresspost envelope, we will return your passport by regular mail. Our office is not responsible for items lost in the mail.
  • We will only return your passport through regular mail or a prepaid Xpresspost envelope. (If you include a prepaid envelope from a private courier company, we will not use it.)
  • You cannot apply through the CPC-O office if you do not live in Canada.

Send your package to:


To make sure your application is not delayed:

  • pay your fee a few days before you mail your application (financial institutions and credit card companies may need up to five business days to validate your payment),
  • apply at least two months before you plan to leave Canada and
  • fill out the new 2D barcode form online (if you fill out the application by hand, it will take longer to process).

We process applications in the order we get them.

We have not yet set processing times for in-Canada applications. We will post updates on this website when they are available.

One or more of the following could delay the processing of your application:

  • your application is not complete,
  • you need a medical exam,
  • you need a background or security check,
  • you have a criminal record,
  • you need an interview,
  • we need to verify your documents or
  • other things complicate your case.

Using a representative

You do not need a representative to apply to visit or immigrate to Canada. However, you can choose to use one.

For more information on representatives, see Choosing a representative.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: