Visitor visa: How to apply from inside Canada
You can apply for a visitor visa from inside Canada if you meet all the conditions below:
- you’re already in Canada
- you hold a valid study or work permit
- you want to leave and return to Canada in the near future
- your existing visitor visa is expired or was valid for only one entry
You should apply at least 2 months before you plan to leave Canada.
To apply within Canada, make sure you provide these answers in the online tool:
- For the first question “What would you like to do in Canada?”, select
- “Study” if you have a valid study permit or
- “Work” if you have a valid work permit
- When asked “What is your current country/territory of residence?”, select “Canada.”
- Answer the questions on the next pages about your work or studies.
- You may be given the option to extend your current study or work permit or apply for a “Temporary Resident Visa.” Make sure you select “Temporary Resident Visa.”
The application form listed in your document checklist will be called “Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257).” This is the form you need to fill out, even when you apply from within Canada.
To apply online, you need an account. Use your account to pay your fees and check your application status.
Apply on paper
Get the application package
The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out.
Read the mailing instructions on this page carefully before you fill out the form.
Please note the following:
- You must fill out and sign your own form, even if you are travelling as part of a family. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian must sign your form.
- We will not refund your processing fee.
- Even if you send a complete application and all the needed supporting documents, you may not get a visa.
Be sure to send us all documents we asked for. Missing information or documents can delay your application.
Pay your application fees
In most cases, your fees will include processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application.
You must pay your fees online. You must pay the biometrics fee when you submit your application. Otherwise, you may experience delays. You must leave Canada to give biometrics.
Depending on your situation, you may need to pay third parties for:
Our instruction guides can help you understand which fees apply to you and show you how to pay them.
Submit your application
When you have filled out the application forms, make sure you:
- sign and date them, and
- include all documents and proof you paid the application fee in the envelope
- Buy two prepaid 24 x 32 cm Xpresspost–National envelopes at any Canada Post retail outlet.
- Put one envelope in the other envelope. We will use the second envelope to return your passport and other documents to you.
- Add the documents you are sending that support your application.
- Put your full mailing address in the “Deliver To” field and the Case Processing Centre–Ottawa post office box address in the “Return Address” field.
- Note the tracking number for each envelope.
- If you don’t send a second prepaid Xpresspost envelope, we’ll return your passport by regular mail. Our office is not responsible for items lost in the mail.
- We’ll only return your passport through regular mail or a prepaid Xpresspost envelope. (If you include a prepaid envelope from a private courier company, we won’t use it.)
- You cannot apply through the CPC-O office if you don’t live in Canada.
Send your package to:
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: