Hiring through the International Mobility Program: About the process

About the process

The International Mobility Program lets you (the employer) hire a temporary foreign worker without a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

How to find out if you need an LMIA

To find out if you’re LMIA-exempt, or if your temporary foreign worker is work permit-exempt, you can review the lists of LMIA exemption codes and work permit exemptions. You can also ask for an opinion from the International Mobility Workers Unit if the foreign worker is

What to do if you’re LMIA-exempt

In most cases, you’ll have to submit an offer of employment through the Employer Portal.

After your part is done, the temporary foreign worker must apply for a work permit.

Once your temporary foreign worker arrives, there are certain conditions and responsibilities that you must meet. If you don’t, you could be issued a penalty.

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) is for hiring foreign workers who need an LMIA. If you’re hiring a temporary foreign worker through the TFWP, find out more about that process.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: