Hire a worker without an LMIA: How to hire a temporary worker

How to hire a temporary foreign worker

Submit an offer of employment

In most cases, to hire a temporary worker through the International Mobility Program, you must

  • pay the employer compliance fee of $230; and
  • create and submit an offer of employment form through the Employer Portal. Your offer of employment must include information about:
    • your business
    • the foreign worker you'd like to hire
    • the job details
    • wage and benefits

Hire an overnight camp counsellor

You can hire an overnight camp counsellor through the International Mobility Program. If your worker fits the description, you don’t need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). You may also be exempt from paying the employer compliance fee, depending on the worker’s situation.

Learn more about hiring an overnight camp counsellor.


Open work permits

If you hire a temporary worker who has an open work permit, you don’t need to submit an offer of employment form or pay the employer compliance fee.

An open work permit allows the permit holder to work for any Canadian employer.

Employer compliance exemptions

Some employers don’t need to use the Employer Portal or are exempt from the employer compliance fee.

Find out if you’re exempt

Sign in to the Employer Portal.

After you submit an offer of employment

After you submit an offer of employment through the Employer Portal, you’ll get an offer of employment number. You must give this number to the temporary worker you plan to hire or plan to employ.

Once the worker has this number, they can complete the work permit application. We’ll review their application to see if they’re eligible to work in Canada. If the application is approved, the temporary worker will get:

  • a letter of introduction and a work permit from a Canada border services officer, if they are still eligible when they arrive in Canada; or,
  • a new work permit (if they live in Canada or apply when they enter Canada)

Other things to tell your temporary worker

  • Make sure your temporary worker has the right entry document. They will either need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. These documents are issued with the work permit if you are coming to Canada from another country.
  • Depending on the type of work they’ll do in Canada and where they lived the previous year, temporary workers may have to undergo a medical examination during the application process.
  • Some countries have requirements that citizens must meet before leaving the country. They may need an exit visa or other documents related to their Canadian employment. Temporary workers should check with their government authorities to find out what the requirements are before they attempt to leave.
  • Make sure you hire someone with a valid work permit who follows the conditions listed on their work permit.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: