Live-in Caregiver Program

Find out how to change your employer under the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP), apply to change your employer, extend or change the conditions of your work permit and learn about applying for permanent residency.

The Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) is closed to new applicants. If you don’t already have a LCP work permit and would like to work as a caregiver in Canada, you must apply for a regular work permit.

Services and information

Find out if you can change your employer

What you need to change employers under the LCP and what to do if you don’t already have a new employer

Apply to change your employer

Sign an employment contract, get a Labour Market Impact Assessment and apply for a new work permit

Extend or change your LCP work permit

Extend or change the details of your work permit, apply for an open work permit, and know what happens if you quit or lose your job

Apply to stay in Canada permanently

Find out if you are eligible, what affects your application and how to apply for your family

Know your rights as a foreign worker

Learn about employment or labour standards where you will be working


Job Bank

Job Bank is the Government of Canada's leading source for jobs and labour market information.

Help Centre

Find quick and direct answers to your questions, including how to complete application forms, extend visas and permits and replace lost documents.

Find free newcomer services near you

Find friendly and experienced settlement professionals who can help you feel at home in Canada.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: