Extend or change the conditions on your work permit: After you apply
We couldn't load the data. Try again.
After you apply
If you applied online to extend or change your work permit
After you apply online, we’ll send you a letter in your account (WP-EXT except PGWP) that you can use as proof that you’re authorized to keep working, if you’re eligible.
- You can print this letter or show it with your current work permit.
- The letter is proof that you’re authorized to keep working under the same conditions as your original work permit until we process your application.
- You can keep working past the expiry date on the letter until we process your application if the conditions are the same as on your original work permit.
Why there’s an expiry date on the letter
Your letter automatically lists an expiry date that’s 120 days from the date we receive your application. The letter expires in 120 days because
- it’s the service standard to process this type of application
- many employers and health insurance providers will ask for proof that you’re allowed to work
- an expiry date helps satisfy their concerns about your status and authorization to work in Canada
If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter
If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter, you can still keep working until we make a decision.
If your employer or others need proof that you can continue to work
- you can show them this web page, or
- if your employer is not satisfied with the information on this page, you can contact us
If you applied on paper to extend or change your work permit
If you applied on paper, you won’t get a letter (WP-EXT except PGWP) that proves you’re authorized to work. This is because we need to make sure that your application is complete and that you meet the requirements to work.
If you applied to extend or change your work permit before it expired, you’re authorized to continue working under the same conditions as your current work permit.
You can show your employer proof that you submitted your application. Valid forms of proof include
- a copy of your work permit application
- proof that you paid your fees
- a copy of postal or courier tracking information
What happens if we approve your application
- an extension of your current work permit, or
- a work permit with new conditions on it, including
- the type of work you can do
- the employer you can work for
- where you can work
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: