Extend or change the conditions on your work permit: What to do if your permit expires
COVID-19: workers changing jobs or employers
You don’t need to wait until your new employer-specific work permit arrives to start a new job or work for a new employer. Follow these steps to start working after you apply for a work permit.
What to do if your permit expires
If your permit expires after you apply
If you apply to extend your work permit before it expires, you can legally stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application. In this situation, you have implied status.
If your permit expired before you applied
You lost your status if you’re still in Canada and:
- your permit expired before you applied
- for a new work permit
- for a study permit
- to stay in Canada as a visitor
- you didn’t respect the conditions of your permit
In some cases, you may apply to restore your status as a worker if you:
- apply within 90 days of losing your status
- due to COVID-19, you can apply to restore your status even if it’s been more than 90 days since it expired
- keep meeting the requirements for your stay
- have met all the conditions listed on your permit, and
- pay your fees
- restoration ($200) and
- work permit ($155) and
- open work permit holder ($100) if you are applying for an open work permit
When you apply to extend your work permit:
- on the form IMM 5710, under section 3 “I am applying for one or more of the following:”, make sure you also choose:
- Restore my status as a worker
- give details of your situation
- clearly explain why you stayed in Canada longer than allowed
There’s no guarantee we’ll accept your application.
If your family members also lost their status, they must each apply (and pay) to get it restored.
You may stay in Canada while we make a decision on your application. Normally, you aren’t allowed to work until your status has been restored.
COVID-19: If you’re restoring your status with an employer-specific work permit
You may be eligible to apply for an authorization to work while you wait for us to process your application.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: