You need a work permit

Based on your answers, you may be eligible for an employer-specific work permit. Your employer must get a positive labour market impact assessment (LMIA) before you submit your application.

An LMIA is a document from Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada that allows an employer to hire a foreign worker through the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) Program.

If you’ll work in Quebec

You must also apply to Quebec’s provincial government for a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for your job.

You may also qualify for 2-week processing of your application if your employer gets a positive LMIA through the Global Talent Stream of the TFW Program.

Before you submit your work permit application, your employer must give you both of the following:

You must also meet the general eligibility requirements for a work permit.

Note: When you complete your work permit application, select “Labour Market Impact Assessment stream” as the type of work permit in the “Details of intended work in Canada” section.

Find out how to apply for a work permit

Page details

Date modified: