Work permit: How to apply
How to apply
You can apply for a work permit online or on paper.
Why you should apply online
- No courier fees or mail delivery time – we get your application instantly.
- Online applications may be processed more quickly.
- Avoid processing delays. Incomplete applications are returned to you. Applying online helps ensure your application is complete before you submit it.
- If we need to ask for more documents, you can quickly submit them online.
- You don’t need to submit your passport until we ask for it.
- Get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.
To get the forms you need, you’ll have to tell us how you’re applying and where you’re applying from.
Inside Canada – Apply online
Before you apply online, make sure you have:
You need an account to apply online. Use it to pay your fees, check your status and extend your permit.
Inside Canada – Apply on paper
Get the application package
The package includes the instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out.
Make sure to read the instruction guide carefully to help you fill out your application.
Inside Canada – Not eligible
You’re not eligible to use the in-Canada application. You need to follow the instructions for applying for a work permit from outside Canada.
Port of entry – Visa required
You can’t apply for a work permit at a port of entry. You need to follow the instructions for applying for a work permit from outside Canada.
Port of entry – Visa not required
Port of entry – I don’t know if I need a visa
If you’re not sure, you can answer a few questions to find out if you need a visitor visa or an eTA to travel to Canada.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: