Work permit: How to apply
How to apply
You can apply for a work permit online or on paper.
Why you should apply online
- No courier fees or mail delivery time – we get your application instantly.
- Online applications may be processed more quickly.
- Avoid processing delays. Incomplete applications are returned to you. Applying online helps ensure your application is complete before you submit it.
- If we need to ask for more documents, you can quickly submit them online.
- You don’t need to submit your passport until we ask for it.
- Get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.
To get the forms you need, tell us how you’re applying and where you’re applying from.
Apply online from inside Canada
As of June 4, 2019, in most cases you must apply online to get or extend a work permit from inside Canada. When you apply online, we get your application instantly, which can help us process your application faster. If you already applied on paper, you don’t have to resubmit your application online.
Step 1: Make sure you have what you need
To apply online, you’ll need:
- a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents, and
- a valid credit or debit card.
Step 2: Read the instruction guide
Even if you apply online, you should read the instruction guide before you complete your application. The guide will explain how to complete each field on the form.
Step 3: Prepare your answers for the online tool
Before you can upload your forms, you must answer some questions. We use your answers to create a personalized document checklist for you.
Step 4: Know the fees you have to pay
In most cases, your fees will include processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application
We’ll ask you to pay your fees at the end of your application.
Fees for open work permits
If you’re applying for an open work permit, make sure you pay both fees:
- work permit fee ($155)
- open work permit holder fee ($100)
Step 5: Create your online account or sign in
You need an account to apply online. You can use your account to:
- pay your fees
- submit your application
- check your status
If you can’t apply online
You can submit a paper application if either:
- you can’t apply online because of a disability
- there’s a problem with the online application
Inside Canada – Not eligible
You need to follow the instructions for applying for a work permit from outside Canada.
Port of entry – Visa required
You can’t apply for a work permit at a port of entry. You need to follow the instructions for applying for a work permit from outside Canada.
Port of entry – Visa not required
Port of entry – I don’t know if I need a visa
If you’re not sure, you can answer a few questions to find out if you need a visitor visa or an eTA to travel to Canada.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: