Apply for a work permit — Temporary workers

You need to give your biometrics

In most cases, you now need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) after you apply. Find out where biometrics fits in the application process.

If you’re already in Canada

If you’re in Canada and you apply for an initial work permit, and you received a biometrics instruction letter from us, you may need to leave Canada to give biometrics.

Don’t travel to the U.S. if you’re only going to give biometrics. The U.S. border officials may not let you enter the country. You can only give biometrics at an Application Support Center in the U.S. if you’re already legally in the U.S.

Instead, go to a visa application centre (VAC) in any country that you can legally enter, such as your home country.

Apply online

Save time and get case updates online!

  • No courier fees or mail delivery time – we get your application instantly.
  • Online applications may be processed more quickly.
  • Avoid processing delays. Incomplete applications are returned to you. Applying online helps ensure your application is complete before you submit it.
  • If we need to ask for more documents, you can quickly submit them online.
  • You don’t need to submit your passport until we ask for it.
  • Get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.

Ready to get started?

To apply online, you need a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents, and a valid credit or debit card.

You must pay the biometrics fee when you submit your application. Otherwise you may experience delays.

Apply on paper

There are different guides and forms to apply on paper for a work permit, depending on where you apply from:

Find out the requirements for where to apply in order to choose the best option for you.

IEC and Global Skills Strategy applicants MUST apply online

If you’re an applicant under the International Experience Canada program or eligible for two-week processing through the Global Skills Strategy, you can only submit your work permit application online.

Select the country/territory you will be applying from to find out where to submit your application. You can choose your country of nationality or the country/territory where you have been legally admitted:


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: