PBC victim complaint process
Submitting a complaint to the PBC under the Canadian Victims Bill of Rights (CVBR)
The Canadian Victims Bill of Rights (CVBR) provides victims with the right to information, protection, participation and restitution.
The Parole Board of Canada (PBC) is committed to respecting victims' rights under the CVBR. If you are a victim registered with the PBC and believe that your rights under the CVBR have not been respected, you have the right to file a formal complaint.
Before submitting a complaint:
Before submitting a formal complaint to the PBC, victims are encouraged to first speak with one of the PBC's Regional Communications Officers (RCO). The RCO is there to assist victims, and may be able to address a victim's issue or concern quickly and informally.
To speak to an RCO in their region, victims can call 1-866-789-INFO (1-866-789-4636) toll free.
Note: Complaints that fall outside the scope of the CVBR include:
- Complaints about the law (e.g. parole eligibilities);
- Complaints about any PBC parole decision;
- Complaints about pardons or criminal record suspensions;
- Complaints about issues that fall outside the PBC's jurisdiction or mandate (e.g. Wardens' decisions, transfers, offender security level).
To submit a formal complaint to the PBC:
Complete the PBC Victim Complaint Form (PDF 150 KB)
Where indicated on the form:
- State which of the four rights under the CVBR you believe has not been respected;
- Describe in detail the nature of your complaint;
- Describe the resolution you are seeking through your complaint; and,
- Sign and date your completed form.
Send the completed form by email or regular mail to the PBC at:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By regular mail:
Parole Board of Canada
410 Laurier Avenue West,
Inform the PBC in writing should you decide to withdraw your complaint at any time.
Following receipt of your complaint, the PBC will send you an acknowledgement within 2 business days. We will try to resolve your complaint within 20 business days. Where additional time is necessary, a PBC representative will contact you within 20 business days to provide a status update.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: