The nervous system, which is made up of the brain, spinal cord and nerves, controls all of our body functions and movements. Disorders of the nervous system are identified as neurological conditions, and can disrupt normal functions and movements of the body. Symptoms can include:
- weakened muscles
- low coordination
- loss of sensation
- altered cognitive functions
Neurological conditions, disorders and injuries are major causes of disability in Canada. Canadians living with neurological conditions face many long-term challenges with reduced functioning and activity limitations. Since the incidence of some of the more common neurological conditions increases with age, the number of people with neurological conditions is expected to rise as Canada’s population ages. Consequently, the direct and indirect costs to society associated with neurological conditions will also increase.
Mapping Connections: An Understanding of Neurological Conditions in Canada
A four-year National Population Health Study of Neurological Conditions is now complete. The Public Health Agency of Canada worked with Neurological Health Charities Canada, Health Canada, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and expert groups on the implementation of the project.
The study improves current knowledge of the incidence, prevalence, risk factors, use of health services, as well as economic costs currently associated with neurological conditions and projected over the next 20 years. It provides a better understanding of the conditions and their impacts on individuals, families, caregivers, and health care systems.
A comprehensive report of the major findings Mapping Connections: An Understanding of Neurological Conditions in Canada is now available.
This summary page provides an overview.
- (2012) The National Population Health Study of Neurological Conditions
- The Burden of Neurological Diseases, Disorders and Injuries in Canada (2007) (PDF Dccument) from the Canadian Institute for Health Information
- Canadian Congenital Anomalies Surveillance Network
- Canadian Institute for Health Information
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Canadian Multiple Sclerosis Monitoring System
- Economic Burden of Illness in Canada
- Neurological Health Charities Canada
- Statistics Canada Health Models: Neurological disease models
- The Public Health Agency of Canada: Aging and Seniors
- The National Population Health Study of Neurological Conditions: The LINC Study
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: