COVID-19 for health professionals: Treatments
On this page
We are tracking all potential drugs in development in Canada and abroad. To help expedite the development and availability of treatments to prevent and treat COVID-19, we are working with:
- international partners
- academic research centres
- manufacturing companies
As of October 2020, Health Canada began receiving submissions for approval under the drug authorization Interim Order for COVID-19. Health Canada will continue to carefully review all of the data provided. Before any new treatment is made available to Canadians, it must be shown to be safe, effective and of high quality.
Learn more about treatment clinical trials in process.
Among hospitalized patients who have COVID-19 and require supplemental oxygen or mechanical ventilation, clinicians should strongly consider:
- dexamethasone 6 mg IV for 10 days (or until discharge if earlier) or equivalent glucocorticoid dose
We have authorized certain products to treat COVID-19 and its symptoms. Find out about COVID-19 treatments that are authorized in Canada.
Products that may ease symptoms such as fever and cough may be used to treat patients with COVID-19.
- COVID-19 health product advisories
- COVID-19 health products industry
- COVID-19 and people with disabilities in Canada
- Health Canada Toolkit: COVID-19 and substance use
- Subsection 56(1) Class Exemption for Patients, Practitioners and Pharmacists Prescribing and Providing Controlled Substances in Canada during the Coronavirus Pandemic
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: