COVID-19 for health professionals: Vaccines
On this page
- Authorized vaccines
- Vaccination distribution and coverage
- Reporting an adverse reaction
- Webinars on COVID-19 vaccines
- Health care provider tool kit
We are tracking all potential vaccines in development in Canada and abroad. To help expedite the development and availability of vaccines to prevent COVID-19, we are working with:
- international partners
- academic research centres
- manufacturing companies
As of October 2020, Health Canada began receiving submissions for approval under the drug authorization Interim Order for COVID-19. Health Canada will carefully review all of the data provided. Before any new vaccine is made available to Canadians, it must be shown to be safe, effective and of high quality.
The interim order is in effect until September 16, 2021. We have introduced transition measures to ensure that COVID-19-related drugs authorized under the IO may continue to be imported and sold in Canada. These measures have been published in the Canada Gazette, Part II.
As of March 18, 2021, the review, authorization and oversight of COVID-19 drugs, including new drugs, can be conducted under the Food and Drug Regulations.
Learn more about vaccine clinical trials in process.
On December 9, 2020, we authorized the first vaccine in Canada for the prevention of COVID-19. Find out about COVID-19 vaccines that are authorized in Canada.
Vaccination distribution and coverage
The weekly report presents the vaccination coverage for COVID-19 vaccines by demographics and key populations, in Canada.
Reporting an adverse reaction
Health care providers are required to report possible reactions following vaccination to their local public health authority. The public health authority then reports them to the Public Health Agency of Canada.
Learn more about:
- COVID-19 vaccine safety: Weekly report on possible reactions following vaccination
- Reports of myocarditis and pericarditis after COVID-19 vaccination: Communiqué to health practitioners (June 3, 2021)
Webinars on COVID-19 vaccines
Health care provider tool kit
Health care providers are uniquely positioned to answer questions and provide information about COVID-19 vaccination. Help your patients and colleagues make informed choices about COVID-19 vaccination by sharing information and resources with them.
Within the tool kit, you will find links to:
- general information about COVID-19
- an overview of authorized vaccines
- guidance for managing COVID-19 vaccination clinics
- an overview of vaccine safety
- a number of additional resources, such as:
- digital tools
- communication materials
- provincial- and territorial-specific resources
We update the tool kit periodically as new content is available.
Access health care provider resources:
- Factsheets, infographics and checklists
- Addressing vaccine hesitancy: A primer for health care providers
- Vaccination pain management for adults
- Anaphylaxis summary information
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: