COVID-19 for health professionals: Vaccines
On this page
- Authorized vaccines
- Vaccination distribution and coverage
- Reporting an adverse reaction
- Webinars on COVID-19 vaccines
- Health care provider tool kit
We are tracking all potential vaccines in development in Canada and abroad. To help expedite the development and availability of vaccines to prevent COVID-19, we are working with:
- international partners
- academic research centres
- manufacturing companies
As of October 2020, Health Canada began receiving COVID-19 drug submissions for approval under the interim order (ISAD IO). The data provided in each submission was carefully reviewed to ensure that any new vaccine made available to Canadians is safe, effective and of high quality.
The ISAD IO expired on September 16, 2021. To ensure that COVID-19-related drugs authorized under the ISAD IO may continue to be imported and sold in Canada, we introduced transition measures to amend the Food and Drug Regulations. The amendments ensure that the review, authorization and oversight of COVID-19 drugs, including new drugs, can now be conducted under the Regulations.
Learn more about vaccine clinical trials in process.
On December 9, 2020, we authorized the first vaccine in Canada for the prevention of COVID-19. Find out about COVID-19 vaccines that are authorized in Canada.
Vaccination distribution and coverage
The weekly report presents the vaccination coverage for COVID-19 vaccines by demographics and key populations, in Canada.
Reporting an adverse reaction
Health care providers are required to report possible reactions following vaccination to their local public health authority. The public health authority then reports them to the Public Health Agency of Canada.
Learn more about:
- COVID-19 vaccine safety: Weekly report on possible reactions following vaccination
- Reports of myocarditis and pericarditis after COVID-19 vaccination: Communiqué to health practitioners (June 3, 2021)
Webinars on COVID-19 vaccines
Health care provider tool kit
Health care providers are uniquely positioned to answer questions and provide information about COVID-19 vaccination. Help your patients and colleagues make informed choices about COVID-19 vaccination by sharing information and resources with them.
Access health care provider resources:
- Planning guidance for immunization clinics for COVID-19 vaccines
- Planning guidance for administration of COVID-19 vaccines
- Vaccination pain management for children: Guidance for health care providers
- Factsheets, infographics and checklists
- Addressing vaccine hesitancy: A primer for health care providers
- Vaccination pain management for adults
- Anaphylaxis summary information
- Date modified: