Prevention of hepatitis A
Learn how hepatitis A can be prevented.
On this page
How to prevent hepatitis A
The best way to prevent hepatitis A is to get vaccinated. Discuss the benefits of getting vaccinated with a health care provider if you are:
- travelling to countries where hepatitis A occurs
- visiting areas where drinking water may be unsafe and poor sanitation and hygiene conditions exist
You can also reduce the risk of getting hepatitis A by taking the following precautions.
- Wash your hands:
- before preparing or eating food
- after using the washroom and changing diapers
- Use safe food practices.
- Follow safe sex practices.
- Never share needles or syringes.
- Take the following precautions with food and water when travelling, especially in countries where hepatitis A is present.
- Avoid ice cubes in drinks.
- Peel your own raw fruit and vegetables.
- Drink water from a safe supply, such as bottled or boiled water.
- Eat only foods that are well-cooked unless you have prepared them yourself.
To prevent spreading hepatitis A, avoid preparing food or beverages for others while you're sick.
For more information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: