Federal Student Work Experience Program
This site will experience interruptions on Saturday, June 22, 2019, from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm EST. while we make a few improvements.
During this time, you will not be able to apply for jobs online.
Thanks for visiting.
Get valuable and meaningful experience working for the top student employer in Canada! Explore hundreds of career paths and thousands of jobs that the Government of Canada has to offer across the country. Find out about rates of pay.
Work in English, French or both, depending on the job!
You are eligible for this program if you meet these 3 requirements:
- you are a full-time high school, CEGEP, college or university student
- you are returning to full-time studies in the next academic year
- you meet the minimum age requirement in the province/territory of work
This includes students with full-time status classified by their school as having physical or emotional disabilities, and some adult secondary school students. Learn more about whether you are eligible.
Note: Preference will be given to Canadian citizens who meet the job requirements.
Diversity — Count yourself in!
Help us build a public service that represents and fully includes the diverse identities, cultures, perspectives and experiences that make up Canada. When you apply, you can indicate (self-declare) if you are a woman, an Aboriginal person, a visible minority or a person with a disability. Some jobs are only offered to people in these groups. To be considered for these opportunities, you need to self-declare.
Students with disabilities: request support
If you have special assessment needs, we want to make sure that you have the support you need to fully demonstrate your abilities. If you’re contacted for a test or interview, ask the hiring manager for accommodation measures. This information will be kept confidential.
Apply to more than one inventory to increase your chances of being matched to a job opportunity.
Ongoing Student Recruitment Inventory
Our largest inventory is open year-round, and available to all departments and agencies. It offers full-time and part-time work opportunities in a wide variety of fields including sciences, trades, administration, IT, finance and many more!
If you’re interested in any of the opportunities below and meet the requirements, apply before they close!
Canadian Armed Forces Reservist Student Employment Opportunity – Summer / Fall 2019 (RSEO)
- Organization: Public Service Commission of Canada - Department of National Defence initiative
- End date: June 20, 2019
- Availability: Full-time
Student Guide Program in France - Winter 2020
- Organization: Veterans Affairs Canada
- End date: September 16, 2019
- Availability: Full-time
What to expect after you apply
- Your application will be placed in the student inventory you applied to
- When there are job openings, managers will use the inventory to fill their positions
- You’ll be notified by email if you’re matched with a job opportunity, or if your application status changes
- If your application is selected for further consideration, you’ll be contacted by a manager for a test and/or interview
Bookmark this page and check back often for new opportunities and register for job alerts.
Not all students who submit an application will be contacted. To ensure a fair selection process, a random selection of applicants meeting all job criteria may be used.
Hear from other students!
“The Indigenous Student Employment Opportunity gave me an advantage… career opportunities, leadership skills and my managers’ support to achieve my educational goals. Living on Canada’s west coast, I never expected to work for the federal public service. This initiative allowed me to explore and have adventures in the Government of Canada.”
- Natallia, Federal Student Work Experience Program student, Indigenous Student Employment Opportunity, Public Service Commission of Canada
“I was afraid I’d be discriminated against because of my handicaps. I found open-mindedness and a community of students living similar experiences. I was welcomed and trained with access to accommodation measures … Through the student network, I made friends and saw that I wasn’t alone in living with a disability, and in wanting to be an active member of society. I loved my experience!”
- Julie and her dog Luna, Federal Student Work Experience Program student, Employment Opportunity for Students with Disabilities, Public Services and Procurement Canada
“Work this summer was a dream. Early morning rides across beautiful Lake Superior have no comparison. I helped Fisheries and Oceans in their work with Lake Sturgeon. Catching, processing and releasing these beautiful animals was truly amazing. Thanks to the Federal Student Work Experience Program, I was able to work with fantastic people on fantastic projects!”
- Diane, Federal Student Work Experience Program student, Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the Federal Student Work Experience Program.
Other opportunities for students
- Find a student research job in the government
- Government Co-op placements and internships
- Apply to job opportunities and inventories for graduates
- Start a career as a policy leader
- Opportunities for Indigenous job seekers
- Other government opportunities for students and graduates
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: