Federal Student Work Experience Program ─ Information for managers
Hire students year-round for temporary jobs from our ongoing and targeted inventories in a variety of fields. Renew your workforce and inject new energy, fresh ideas and approaches into your workplace. Access a diverse talent pool and hire employment equity groups to represent the population we serve.
Our inventories include students:
- at all levels (high school, CEGEP, college and university)
- in 15 areas of study and over 250 specializations
- who've identified interest in one of 15 types of work
- available to work across Canada
How it works
Complete a request form for students related to your job opportunity, and select the inventory you’re interested in. Using random selection, you’ll be matched with students who meet your criteria. Our inventories include:
Ongoing Student Recruitment Inventory
Our largest inventory accepts new candidates year-round. Use it to find students at all levels, from high school through to university. You can also select students who have self-declared as belonging to one of the employment equity groups.
Indigenous Student Employment Opportunity
This inventory is now closed, but you can still request Indigenous students from the Ongoing Student Recruitment Inventory. Just remember to select Aboriginal person in the employment equity section of the request form.
You also have access to support and resources for you and your student (accessible only on the Government of Canada network).
Plan the next campaign with us.
We’re currently planning the 2020 summer inventory of Indigenous students. Contact us to align your hiring needs with our recruitment campaign.
Employment Opportunity for Students with Disabilities
This inventory is now closed, but you can still request students with disabilities from the Ongoing Student Recruitment Inventory. Just remember to select Person with disability in the employment equity section of the request form.
You also have access to support and resources for you and your student (accessible only on the Government of Canada network)
Plan the next campaign with us.
We’re currently planning the 2020 inventory of students with disabilities. Contact us to align your hiring needs with our recruitment campaign.
Student Financial Analyst
This Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat initiative is open to hiring managers from January 2020 to June 30, 2020. It will be used to offer student employment within departments across the federal public service.
Targeted inventories are also available throughout the year in a number of areas. When you submit your request for students, you'll see a list of available inventories.
Steps to hire a student
- Complete and submit a request for students
- View received randomly selected applications and match students to your job
- Hire your student
- Submit the assessment results for all students referred to you by the Public Service Commission (Refer to the student applications email sent to you)
Don't forget to ask your student if they require accommodation!
To make an offer (hires and re-hires)
Determine your student's rate of pay based on Treasury Board's Student Rates of Pay.
See Annex B of the Appointment Policy for the information you need to retain. At minimum, you'll need:
- Item 6: Affirmation of Aboriginal Affiliation Form for hired students (if applicable)
- Item 10: Oath or solemn affirmation
- Item 11: Signed offer of appointment
To re-hire students originally hired through the Federal Student Work Experience Program, Post-Secondary Co-op/Internship Program or Research Affiliate Program:
- check that they continue to meet student eligibility criteria
- contact your HR advisor for your department's requirements for re-hiring students
Have unique recruitment needs?
If you have at least 10 student jobs to be filled, and unique needs such as promoting job opportunities to increase women's interest in science, technology, engineering, mathematics or law enforcement, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to start a discussion today.
Check out how our targeted inventories connected Fisheries and Oceans Canada with their own biology student!
Looking to partner with us at university and college events?
The Public Service Commission does outreach with academic institutions to promote the federal public service as an employer of choice. Contact our regional offices to learn more.
For more information about the Federal Student Work Experience Program, contact us at email@example.com to start a discussion today!
Student and graduate programs
- Federal Student Work Experience Program – Student page
- Research Affiliate Program – Information for managers
- Post-Secondary CO-OP/Internship Program – Information for managers
- Post-Secondary Recruitment – Information for managers
- Recruitment of Policy Leaders – Information for managers
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: