Newcomer to Canada? What you need to know to do your taxes

If you are a newcomer to Canada for all or part of a tax year (January 1 to December 31), you need to do your taxes (file an income tax and benefit return) if you receive or want to receive certain benefits and credits, want to claim a refund, or have to pay tax. Everything you need to know is available at Find information on getting your social insurance number, filing a tax return, applying for benefits and credits, contacting the Canada Revenue Agency if you need assistance, and tax treaties. 

Important facts

Once you do your taxes for the first time and receive a notice of assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you’ll be able register for My Account and access all of the CRA’s online, self-service options. Online services make doing your taxes faster and easier. You’ll be able to use them to help file your tax return, make a payment, track the status of your return, register for online mail, apply for benefits, and more. Register for My Account at

As a newcomer, it's important to understand your tax obligations and the benefits and credits available to you. We have some videos to help you: Newcomers to Canada and the Canadian Tax System and New to Canada? Learn about Taxes (also available in French, Arabic, Cantonese, Punjabi and Spanish).


Stay connected


More information
CRA media contact list

Page details

Date modified: