Income tax – After you apply
What can you expect after you apply?
On receipt of your application, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will check to make sure that your application meets the following program entry criteria:
- you are eligible to apply
- your application contains the required information, returns, forms, schedules, and payment
Acceptance of your VDP application
If the CRA determines that your application meets the program entry criteria, you will be advised in writing of the following:
- acceptance of your application into the VDP process
- the Effective Date of Disclosure (EDD)
Once an application has been accepted into the VDP process, it will be evaluated to ensure that it meets the five conditions of a valid application. After your application is evaluated, you will be notified in writing of:
- which track (general or limited) will be applied to your application
- the taxation years eligible for relief
Denial of your VDP application
If the CRA determines that your application is not eligible, does not include the necessary information, documentation, and payment, does not meet the five conditions of a valid application, or is in regards to a circumstance where relief will typically not be considered, you will be advised in writing:
- that your application has been denied
- the reason why your application was denied
What can you do if you do not receive a response?
If it has been more than four to five weeks since you sent in your application, and you have not received a response, contact General Enquiries:
- Individuals (Canada and the United States): 1-800-959-8281
- Businesses (Canada and the United States): 1-800-959-5525
For all other telephone numbers, go to Telephone numbers – Canada Revenue Agency.
What can you do if you disagree with the decision?
If the CRA does not grant you relief, you may request a second review of your application. To request a second review, send your written request to the Shawinigan National Verification and Collections Centre.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: